Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New SFG need advice

Posted by francoind none (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 10:16

Will be retiring and moving to NC coast after first of the year. Have always farmed a large garden with tractor but now will be downsizing to SFG. I plan beds along the property line on the side closest to the house. The beds will be two feet wide and built out of some salt treated 2x6 that have weathered outside for 10 years and are in good shape. I expect that all leaching has already occurred. The soil under the beds is almost pure sand. Pines and Oak trees grow in it better that anything else so I know that it will need lime. I plan to add a lot of peat and mulch from old oak leaves. I need all suggestions that I can get. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New SFG need advice

The best advice I can offer is to get this book and read it thru. You will have a wonderful experience if you do.

http://www.amazon.com/Square-Foot-Gardening-Second-ebook/dp/B00BL62GU4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380150270&sr=8-1&keywords=square+foot+gardening

o
RE: New SFG need advice

If I were you I would also add as much topsoil and sufficient manure that I can economically get. With your compost and the topsoil and manure mixed with the sand, the garden soil should be good to go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here