Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ezwicky

fall / winter vegetables in zone 6

ezwicky
14 years ago

hey all,

i have four 4x4' SFGs, and i am currently growing radishes and carrots, spinach and kohlrabi. these have all been recently planted from seeds.

i still have a lot of spaces left, and would like to continue to plant through the fall, and harvest through the winter (as long as possible), extending the season by use of PVC hoops and plastic covers.

for the suburban philadelphia area, is this possible? i am thinking of lettuce, mache, more radishes and carrots, spinach...

any other ideas?

thanks in advance,

-eric

Comments (5)

• diclemeg
    14 years ago

I'm doing the same. But not growing carrots anymore. It is the one thing that doesn't seem to be worth it spacewise relative to how cheap they are at store, and taste the same. I grew Mokum, and they did ok, but did not taste better.

This fall/winter in my boxes here on Long Island, I'm growing Mache, Arugula, SwissChard, Sugarloaf Chicory, Italian Dandelion, Kale, Frisee', Escarole.

I recommend to you to grow SwissChard, because it will overwinter too, and keep going all year long. Frisee' has been great for lettuce substitute so far, and I recommend you grow that instead of lettuce, unless you find a very cold hardy type. I'm growing for first time, Winter Marvel Butterhead, and it is supposedly is the best lettuce to survive the winter. Kale is very cold hardy.

• ezwicky
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks! i just ordered some frisee, swiss chard, butterhead lettuce, kale and a few other things.

will you cover your SFG this winter? will you be using the hops as outlined in the book? what kind of plastic cover will you use? it is not clear to me what to buy or where i can find it.

thanks again,

-eric

• keski
    14 years ago

I am in western NY, Zone 5. I bought 2 ten-foot sections of 1/2" pvc at Home Depot. My boxes are 4'x4' so I carefully bent the sections from corner to corner and inserted them in the corners to the bottom of the box. I fastened the cross at the top with 2 cable ties. It has held up all spring and summer. In spring I covered it with 6ml plastic sheeting also purchased at Home Depot or Lowes ( I bought a 10 x25 foot roll) and it kept the wet snow we had in April off of it. I just anchored the plastic with bricks and rocks and it was fine. I am going to see if I can keep a few things growing a bit longer when we get colder weather.

• ezwicky
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks keski, that gives me a good mental picture of what i need to do. i'm going to set mine up in a few weeks.

good luck this winter!

-eric

• ezwicky
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i just planted mâche, frisee, swiss chard, lettuce (some head kind that was suggested for winter), radishes, claytonia and carrots. made my PVC arches like you did... crossed at the top and secured with a big cable tie, but it's not cool enough yet to affix the plastic. we'll see how it goes.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida