Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More drip irrigation...

Posted by duhast 10 SoCal (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 13, 08 at 11:05

I found another type of hose.

My Home Depot is so stupid. Inthe sprinkler section, things are sorted by type AND brand. That means that not all the drip stuff is in one place....

I've shown some of my system with emitter hose. Well I found some "soaker" type hose that is porous it's entire length. I think this is better for my "water rings" and certainly some of the applications in my entire garden. Cheaper than the emitter hose too.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More drip irrigation...

duhast, I can't use the seeping type soaker hoses with our irrigation water. It won't even last a season before it's all plugged with sediment and algae (or whatever it plugs up with).

Where I ended up buying most of my drip stuff was either the Indian hardware store in Parker, AZ or Ace Hardware in Blythe, CA. They have a lot of tubing and stuff, but I have never seen the emitter hose at either place. I think I'll go to Lowes or Home Depot before I make the trip south, and just see what is available. I do want to be prepared to turn on the irrigation to the garden as soon as I get back next spring. What I want is just a rather large tubing with holes (emitters) every 6 inches, that can be coiled around some large shrubs and in the garden beds. That's quite different from the system I installed at my AZ home.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

o

Yeah, like in my earlier post, the 6" stuff I found is by Toro and is black with a blue stripe, and 1/4". Look at the label good, because their plain hose looks the same, black with the stripe. The emitter stuff is about $14 for 50 feet here in SoCal.

o

• Posted by shebear z8 NCentralTex (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 13, 08 at 15:15

Be careful about using it inline with the other emitters. It could lower the pressure because it releases water too fast. I also think that the end of soaker hose doesn't get as wet in a long run so be careful about that......it works great for rings.

The biggest trick to drip systems is using the knowing all the pluses and minuses of each part of the system and using them in the perfect setup.

o

I can't foresee a pressure problem, as I have three different dedicated lines that are now providing water to three very big Rainbird impulse sprinklers. If need be, I can provide a fourth one. I might just end up with a bunch of the flat soaker hoses linked together (with Y connectors) with short sections of garden hose. Not very pretty, but probably less expensive.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

o

I'm cool on pressure, and certainly by the numbers. I've got two 8-outlet heads for a 16 square bed. Not going dedicated singles, but I could if I had to.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here