Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diclemeg

Cold frame or cover

diclemeg
14 years ago

This is my first year doing a garden, and did a SFG with great success. I do not have the book by Mel however.

As I am in Long Island, but on south shore which is zone 7a, I would like to grow cool season crops throughout the winter, and have several cold tolerant varieties like Fordhook Chard, bought from Fedco in Maine, who specializes in cold tolerant varieties.

Yesterday I sowed Mache' and escarole, and will soon also sow spinach and more sugarloaf chicory and chard.

I'm in need of advice regarding the cold frame protection. My beds are 4X8 and are 10 inches high, and the soil level is approx 8 inches up, so 2 inches below the top line. To grow the crops through the fall and winter, should I build a cold frame, say, out of 12" high wood frame, and then a few sheets of glass on top ? Or do I simply get those things that look like pvc hoops, and then cover with a clear plastic ( i think its called a tunnel or high tunnel). I'm not sure what to do that this point. Someone please advise. Thank you !!!

Comments (4)

Sponsored