Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ribbit32004

Mowing the dirt by the sfg

ribbit32004
15 years ago

We mowed the dirt....uh, grass by the sfg today.

Do I resist the urge to get out there with a brush or at least the leaf blower and clear the dust off the plants?

It's horribly hot out today for this time of year (mid 80's) and things are pretty wilted. Didn't know if this would affect things.

I took some new pics yesterday of the progress made in a month. I'll try to post them tonight.

Comments (11)

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Ribbit - After I mow the lawn each time, I always inspect the entire garden to see if any airborne grass clippings made their way into it. Of course, there is always some in there. It takes me probably 30 minutes to pick all of the pieces out, but when i'm finished - I can breathe easy again. LOL. Hey...my garden just has to be perfect....I can't help it.

EG

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Why don't you guys buy a feather duster?

Ha-ha!!

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• medontdo
    15 years ago

hmmm....i' guess i'm the only one who's entirely nuts!! i have one of those baggie ones!! LOL i wanted the stuff. and i didn't want to have all the grass clippings in the house after mowing. we have a huge lawn, but still! and yes my son thinks i'm nuts. well, a dork. LOL can you rig up a thingi to make the clippings go in a downward angle?? that might help. ummmm yes i'm a jimmi rigger. LOL ~Medo

• ribbit32004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I waited until it was cooler and the plants perked up a bit and then went down there and shook them a bit to get all of the dust off. I went clockwise around the whole thing and thought I was pretty cool until I got all of the way around and realized that when I shook the dirt off it still had to land somewhere...and I was back to where I started!
    :)I got as much as I could off, but inside the lettuce was a bit rough. Thank goodness the dirt only needs mowing about every 3-4 months.

• duhast
    15 years ago

Two words......

Black & Decker Dust Buster.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

duhast, that would suck the leaves right off the plants! I still say feather duster ;-)

Granny

• carolynp
    15 years ago

ROFL, I never even thought of a duster granny! Nice call. My confession? I cut the grass around the boxes with scissors. I don't own a weed eater and my mower is a push mower, lol. Not because I'm a greenie, because I'm too stinking cheap to buy gas for my lawn, which I could care less about anyway.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

OMGosh, can you imagine what the neighbors would say if you went out there and dusted off your veggies with a feather duster? Of course, you have to be wearing your terry cloth bathrobe and your big bunny slippers while you're doing it. Maybe while singing "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious".

Granny

• mike_in_paradise
    15 years ago

We get more than enough rain that I never worry about this!

• medontdo
    15 years ago

LOL you are soo funny carolyn! i use the weed eater, i weed eat it way low to the ground. hubs gets mad, but i refuse to have the "seeds" that are in my mind, LOL in my beds!!!

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

I took a feather duster to something this weekend, I can't remember what but hehe, guys use them too!

Sponsored