Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ribbit32004

Several questions for next year...bribing with pics

ribbit32004
15 years ago

I've got soooo many questions for next year's garden that I'm going to bribe you with pictures for advice. Although I do realize the pics are only of a month's worth of growth which has been fairly shabby, I think. I should have posted them with my last question on dirt mowing, but I didn't think I'd get to the computer again.

1. Sun - the only space I have for gardening gets about 5-6 hours of sun a day because it's in our back yard behind a fence and borderd in the back with a thick woodline, which is one of the reasons, besides depth, that I think my SFG isn't doing as well as my containers, but is that good enough for beans, peas and cucumbers in the intense GA summer heat?

2. Peas - Anyone know of a pea variety that grows in bushes instead of vines? Looking to maximize trellis space.

3. Trellis - speaking of trellising, EG, I'm taking you up on your offer (I hope you don't mind). Whatever I use can't be obtrusive and it's got to be something I can get at my local po-dunk Ace Hardware. It's got to be attached to the back of the box as the ground is like concrete, yet shiftable once something is in there, so it won't support a trellis in summer afternoon wind/thunder storms. (btw, Auburn kicked tale, Alabama deserved to win, and I all of a sudden find myself an Old Miss fan.)

4. Anyone know of a pea that grows in bush variety?

5. Since the man (husband) has agreed to let me build whatever amount of boxes I want since it goes along with the no-red clay philosophy, what obsure veggie couldn't you live without.

6. Pressure treated or not - the dude at the local po-dunk said that since the process for PT has changed it would be fine, and quite honestly it's cheeper. Thoughts?

7. FINALLY - the pics. I'm sorry there are so many questions, but through reading your individual blogs I've come to admire and respect each and ever one of you. Sinfonian, your relationship with your family inspires me. EG, your attention to detail and construction skills astonish me, and Granny, your creativity knows no bounds. And that's not to belittle the rest of you who post frequently. Your advice and wisdom are the things convinced me that I could and should persue SFG.

Oh yeah....I did promise the pics :)

Begining of September

Today (September28)

Thank you SSSOOOOO much in Advance.

Lex.

Comments (15)

• Yoshimi Dragon
    15 years ago

Re: trellis -- try googling on the Ace website. They'll let you mail order stuff to the local store. I bought a pretty trellis there several years back, had it sent to the closest store.
    I'm not sure what to suggest for stability unless you get a bunch of u-shaped brackets and screw them to the inside of the frame at intervals... so you could pull the trellis straight up from one pair of brackets and slide it into another pair... but still have support in the horizontal plane.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

1. I would think 6 hours would be enough

2. & 4. Little Marvel (Bush) Peas were always a favorite of mine in my raised bed gardens. This site also shows a Lincoln Bush Pea

http://www.humeseeds.com/pealm.htm

Ribbit, it looks like everything is growing just fine to me, except I don't see the tomato plant in the updated photos.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Ribbit - Gosh...I don't know what to say. Thank you for the compliment.
    Now I will give you my input on your questions - Five to 6 hrs of sun is fine. The treated lumber is nothing to be concerned about. The trellis is no problem. The first question I have is, how much money are you planning on spending on materials? The second question is, how tall would you like to build it? Also....do you have a preference in materials to be used? With this information, we can proceed in planning it. :)

The weekend of football was definitely interesting.

Your garden is progressing very well. Everything looks lush and healthy. Good job! Also, this forum helped me tremendously as well. There are alot of wise people here, and together we can all become successful gardeners.

EG

• ribbit32004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You are a wise one, Granny.
    That blasted slug couldn't leave well enough alone, so I uprooted it. I was afraid the veggie gods would curse me, so I replanted it a pot in the front yard, but again, that slug must have had radar or a family it rang on its cell phone. I left well enough alone and planted onions in its place.

Thanks for the pea suggestions. It's the only thing the girl will eat...especially if you freeze dry them!! Kids pop them like candy and have no idea they're eating peas.

docarwen, I had somethin like u shaped brackets in mind, myself.

EG, I'll spend what I have to spend, but I certainly don't need to go fashionable. Functional works best for me. As for materials, it needs to be easy enough for me to handle and set up with my Bert and Earnie arms (think Sesamee Street) and yet stout enough to withstand the weight of the vines etc. I had seen some green stake type things at the store that I thought I could attach with u-shaped brackets and zig zag twine/rope around to hold the vines. Didn't know if anything would be needed on the upper end. Although, having never seen a good trellis, I'm totally making this up as feaseable.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Ribbit, if you plant bush peas you don't need a trellis for them, just use leafless branches for them to climb on. This photo shows that as applied to rows, but you could use one branch per square.

{{gwi:1285085}}

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• ribbit32004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

SWEET! That's such a neat idea. Actually, I was thinking of doing sugar snap for me and thought to fill some squares with the bush peas if I could find any. Thanks for the info!

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i have a slug problem, so i put them roofing tiles around the plants that i don't want them around. so one day i went out and seen this ugly dried up thing, it was the slug, they cannot make it accros the roofing shingle, that is the word i'm looking for. LOL it made it halfway. that's it. i put them around my hosta's and a few others. hope that helps with the slug thingi. the green one's kinda help with the green in the lawn. i unfortunatly have the dark grey. but hey!! it works just the same for me!! WEEE LOL
    i absolutely love your garden!! they look gorgeous!! i hope mine next year looks half that good!! i know my flowers look great!! but now crossing fingers for the food!! **grinning** LOL ~Medo

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Ribbit - another thing to consider is the types of veggies you are planning on trellising. Do you also want it to be removable?

EG

• ribbit32004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Medo, but quite honestly, everything looks puny in comparison to those in pots, but it's better than I thought I'd do so I'm thilled.

EG, thinking of running up cucumbers, sugar snap peas and pole beans. We'd be looking about 12 ft long, so I'm assuming (yet again) I'd need multiple posts of whatever sort. Removeable (even if it takes unscrewing) for the winter months would be more sightly, but not necessary.

• carolynp
    15 years ago

I think your garden looks wonderful! The onions are just taking off. I use the ultomatoes, but everyone says they are awful b/c they get brittle after a couple years. Not a problem here so far, but this is my first year.
    I tried to get through the year without tomatillos and I have regretted it. I absolutely love them in salsas and salads. They seem to need less water than regular tomatoes and they just grow and grow. I may try one of those in an earthbox, also.

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

First off, thanks, that was a sweet comment! Glad you enjoy my blog. Now for your questions the best I can.

1. Sun - That's considered partial shade at best, though everything but true sun lovers should do ok there. By sun lovers I mean tomatoes, peppers, corn and the like. But heck, give whatever you want a try, you're not out much if it doesn't work, then you'll know. That's what we all did, hehe.

2. Peas - I went Oregon Sugar Snap. They grow 30 inches tall and like a trellis, but I think Granny's idea of a stake or stick in the ground for them to climb is a great idea! Go with whatever you like that works in your area, but check how tall it grows. Web sites tell you. You want one that grows shorter. Sorry I can't be more help, our climates are too dissimilar.

3. Trellis - Gee, my trellis was as simple as 2x4s bolted to the bed with netting strung across it. Regular boards keep it sturdy, but I don't have your wind to deal with. Not sure how it would hold out, but I know you can get all of it at ACE. Note I love my local True Value, shop locally!

4. Peas - We know what's dear to your heart, this is a duplicate question, so you only asked 6... so don't feel bad that you asked 7, hehe.

5. Veggie - I'd have to say my cucumbers, they're amazingly productive and versitile. I use them on sandwiches and salads and I made pickles for my wife. Can't beat that!

6. Wood - I'm biased, since I heard the same thing as you and went with pressure treated. It lasts forever and neither my brother nor I have had any ill effects from it. I'm growing organic (I think), but don't care about any label, so I went treated. You're call, but cheaper sounds good enough for me in this economy!

Finally ask away, most of us (and definitely EG, Granny and myself) love helping out!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure!

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Ribbit - I have put alot of thought into your trellises, and think that you should consider the following:
    Since you will be able to use some very lightweight materials because of the smaller veggies needing trellised - I think you should look at the pictures of Sinfonian's hoop cover support brackets, mounted at the bottom of his boxes. I certainly wouldn't use something as light as pvc for a trellis support, but you'll get the general idea of what i'm talking about. He is planning on sliding a smaller pipe into the short pieces of pipe,(that are larger)and is clamped to the bottom of the box, making it removable if necessary. You can do the same thing with yours, using EMT conduit, like Mel uses. This will be more rigid, because remmember....yours is not gonna be utilized as supports for hoop covers. Also, the short pieces of (larger, barely fitting over the smaller) pipe that you clamp to the box will need to be a minimum length, so the upright (smaller diameter)pieces won't move back and forth so freely inside these pieces at the bottom,(at least 12"). Let me know what your feelings are about this setup, and i'll help you further....Sorry for the delayed response, but I've just had alot of different projects running thru my mind...lol. I'm building a couple of different things for myself right now! (One of which, will be suh-weet!)

EG

• ribbit32004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

EG, you're spot on. That's exactly what I was thinking. Either that or just using the u brackets to hold the actual support in place and just unscrewing it if necessary, but your/sinfonian's idea just seems easier.

PLEASE don't worry about this too much. We have a long winter ahead of us. Ok, to clarify. It's not long like snow long (shoot, we've been known to close school for the threat of snow) or even temps below 20 at night long, but still cold enough so that I won't be doing anything with it until February. You get that seed starter built.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Ok ribbit, we'll do it later. Yeah, i'm about half way finished with the seed starter, and have constructed 4 earthtainers since Saturday. Make sure you keep an eye on my blog for the 2nd and 3rd parts of the seed starter construction....it'll be pretty nice.

EG

• Melissa Houser
    15 years ago

Ribbit,

My trellis is as simple as a couple of 2x4s with fence attached. The fence is actually horse fencing, so it has wider holes for me to reach my hands through, which really helps when I'm tying things to the trellis.

We try to reuse anything we can, and we have a couple of rolls of fence out behind the shed, so that's my big fancy trellis. :)

Sponsored