Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can't find bulk compost

Posted by wdatampa 9b (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 11, 06 at 16:36

I am trying to find some bulk compost to buy in the Tampa area, but have come up short. I need about 3 yards or so, so I didn't want to go buy tons of bags from HD/Lowes. The best I have found so far is a place that has top soil and Potting soil in bulk. The potting soil has a considerable amount of composted horse manure in it.

I was going to use a modified version of Mel's Mix (less peat than he calls for). Any suggestions? I can get some of the topsoil or potting mix, and mix in some bagged compost, vermiculite, and peat, or just use the straight potting soil, as I assume it will have pearlite/vermiculite mixed in, or I could just mix some peat and potting mix/top soil, or FINALLY I could use their top soil in place of compost.

Please help... I'm just not sure what the best approach is. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can't find bulk compost

A potting mix is probably already going to have plenty of peat in it. As the last ditch effort, I'd go with bulk potting mix plus some additional compost.

Not sure if this is the place yo've already contacted:
http://floridamulch.com/retail.html

Also, at the grocery store, look to see where the mushrooms come from. If it is within driving range the mushroom operations usually sell straight bulk compost.

o

Thanks. I thought I had looked at that place, but when I looked at their website again, it listed compost in bulk. Thanks.
Sad that I couldn't figure that out, but a guy in Texas could.

I will check the mushrooms today too.

o

They didn't have it either... even though their website says they do... back to square 1.

o

Since this is a frequent question, I'll ususally run a search to see if I can spot something obvious that's been missed; along the way I've gotten a good eye for finding potential compost dealers. Too bad this one was also was a dry well. The other option is to start calling landscape supply companies (the ones that carry stone and statuary) or concrete and materials companies (many of whom also stock bulk fill) and see if they either carry bulk compost or know who does.

o

I have been calling around, and to no avail. I find it so strange that I can't find any. Seems like all the nurseries and such would use it in bulk. I may be mixing bagged compost into some potting soil.

I have a few more leads to follow up on and still haven't checked the mushrooms at the store for a local grower.

o

your looking in the wrong place. you want a landscape supply place not a nursery hardware store.

o

Oh, don't worry... I called them too. I ended up buying potting soil, with one of the components being composted horse manure. I amended with lots of compost.

o

Does anyone know where I can buy bulk mushroom compost in Northwest Florida, around the Walton county area. Anywhere from Tallahassee area up.

o

angiealf, I hear your call, near Tallahassee. From Talla. go out US 90 east about 12 or so miles to the nursery on your left, they have it ,but come for a load as they wont sell less than a yard per sale. Good luck on your buy.

o

Tallahassee Nursery sells mushroom compost by the yard. There is also a place in Quincy that sells I think. I am also looking for places in Tampa, if anyone finds one post here.
Thanks =)

o

I found bulk compost here:
Mothers Organics
6727 CR 579
Seffner, Florida 33584
813-628-0600 � phone
813-628-0664 � fax
http://www.mothersorganics.com

o

In Tampa there is Hong Kong Willies. This com poster uses material that that has not been exposed to pesticides,herbicides,fertilizers,growth Hormones,and animal medications . Here is their phone # 813 770 4794.

http://hongkongwillie.blogspot.com/2010/06/red-worms-tampa.html

Here is a link that might be useful: http://hongkongwilliesart.blogspot.com

o
RE: Can't find bulk compost in Tampa Florida

I got 10 cubic yards of high quality compost from the folks at Topsoil Tampa. I think their minimum delivery is 3 cubic yards.

Here is a link that might be useful: Compost in Tampa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here