Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Collard spacing

Posted by wdatampa 9b (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 17, 06 at 18:22

I can't find any info on collard spacing. I'm trying to figure out if I have the room, but, as I have never grown them, I am not sure what to expect.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Collard spacing

Like I know where 9b is? OH Tampa?
Maybe one day I can move to Tampa, FL, so I can garden, well most year round,right?

I have grown mine at 1/sqft. I wouldn't grow any closer.
If they do well, you will want to support them with those usless tomato cages, finally a use for the cages.

Good Luck,
Gumby_CT

o

Yep Tampa.

I started my fall seeds about a month ago and was considering a few collards, space permitting. I do have a few tomato cages sitting around. Thanks!
Veggie gardening in the middle of the summer is tough. Okra and peppers are about all that will survive.

o

Yup,

I'd do 1 per square. I planted some a couple years back before I discovered SFG. In my "traditional" Garden, they did grow large! Oh but they are so so yummy.

Good luck,

GI Jane

o

I did Vates 4 per square foot, and my Georgia Collards like cucumbers (2 per square). I started my Georgia Collards at 4 per square, but 2 in each square ended up getting harvested whole due to crowding. I did 4 squares and have gotten two harvests from them so far by cutting back all but the center two baby leaves, and they are still growing. Now that cooler weather is coming in, I am about to plant 5 more squares. I LOVE COLLARDS.

o

I bought some collard transplants, and put them in containers-3 & 5 gall pots. I put 3 to 4 in one pot in potting MG potting soil. Now after reading some of the emails, I wonder if these pots are big enough. I am nervous about spacing. Will they thrive. I watered with MG-Tomato. They are Vates Georgia collards.

o

I planted Collards last fall -- I planted 4 per square. But, I don't wait for mine to completely mature.... I start harvesting leaves off and just leave maybe 2 leaves on the plant.... then when they grow more leaves again, I harvest those leaves... so the plants never really get that big in my garden LOL I think I'm a bit impatient LOL

Judy

Here is a link that might be useful: Ft2Garden.com

o

Came here looking for spacing for Collards. Got it - now I'm good to go. Hope this Gumby guy knows what he's talking about.

o

my collard bolted on me within 2 weeks of planting what did i do wrong

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here