Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wdatampa

Collard spacing

wdatampa
17 years ago

I can't find any info on collard spacing. I'm trying to figure out if I have the room, but, as I have never grown them, I am not sure what to expect.

Thanks.

Comments (8)

• gumby_ct
    17 years ago

Like I know where 9b is? OH Tampa?
    Maybe one day I can move to Tampa, FL, so I can garden, well most year round,right?

I have grown mine at 1/sqft. I wouldn't grow any closer.
    If they do well, you will want to support them with those usless tomato cages, finally a use for the cages.

Good Luck,
    Gumby_CT

• wdatampa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yep Tampa.

I started my fall seeds about a month ago and was considering a few collards, space permitting. I do have a few tomato cages sitting around. Thanks!
    Veggie gardening in the middle of the summer is tough. Okra and peppers are about all that will survive.

• gijane
    17 years ago

Yup,

I'd do 1 per square. I planted some a couple years back before I discovered SFG. In my "traditional" Garden, they did grow large! Oh but they are so so yummy.

Good luck,

GI Jane

• chrislyn
    17 years ago

I did Vates 4 per square foot, and my Georgia Collards like cucumbers (2 per square). I started my Georgia Collards at 4 per square, but 2 in each square ended up getting harvested whole due to crowding. I did 4 squares and have gotten two harvests from them so far by cutting back all but the center two baby leaves, and they are still growing. Now that cooler weather is coming in, I am about to plant 5 more squares. I LOVE COLLARDS.

• catlover_gardener
    16 years ago

I bought some collard transplants, and put them in containers-3 & 5 gall pots. I put 3 to 4 in one pot in potting MG potting soil. Now after reading some of the emails, I wonder if these pots are big enough. I am nervous about spacing. Will they thrive. I watered with MG-Tomato. They are Vates Georgia collards.

• magnolias4ever
    16 years ago

I planted Collards last fall -- I planted 4 per square. But, I don't wait for mine to completely mature.... I start harvesting leaves off and just leave maybe 2 leaves on the plant.... then when they grow more leaves again, I harvest those leaves... so the plants never really get that big in my garden LOL I think I'm a bit impatient LOL

Judy

Here is a link that might be useful: Ft2Garden.com

• gumby_ct
    15 years ago

Came here looking for spacing for Collards. Got it - now I'm good to go. Hope this Gumby guy knows what he's talking about.

• lingo3
    13 years ago

my collard bolted on me within 2 weeks of planting what did i do wrong