Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
medontdo

ot: wow!!!

medontdo
15 years ago

so what has everyone been up to?? well not much here! LOL

hmm....hubs won tickets to highscool musical play, and he just won tickets to carrie underwood's concert i think he's gonna try to win tickets to jason aldean's concert also, that away he can take talla to that one, she LOVES big trucks!!! and he'd take tabor to the carrie underwood, since that would be standing up. the jason aldean one is at a topeka performing arts theater. weird huh!! LOL

last year he won garth brooks tickets!! that was awesome!! considering that it was supposed to be his last one, LOL and tabor, that little bug, he won 2 times tickets to eat at some place, AND tickets to go to see "the mist" grant took him to go see it. he drives in topeka, i definately do NOT!!! LOL a bunch of crazy freaks!! LOL **big grinn**

so i've been doing laundry ALL day, and hanging them on the line, the good news is that i'm almost done, the bad news is that i'm still hanging them out in my pajama's!! LOL ~Medo still dorky but very comfortable!! WOOO HOOO!! LOL

Comments (58)

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Awwwww, Granny! That SUCKS! I've done that a few times myself and it annoys the CRAP-O-LUH out of me when that happens!

EG, I'll ask her about the stickers for her leg... LOL... I think she's going to argue with you, though, that her Hannah Montana tattoos, are bad to the bone and Iron Maiden is only cool for old people... ROFL

~Angela

15 years ago

Betty - It's really neat to hear 'bout your herb garden. I especially think rosemary is beautiful. Earlier when I read your post, my husband and I were talking about how it show be considered an ornamental shrub, not just an herb.

Sorry about the free mulch... uggggh... I like free, but the hard work part doesn't sit too well with me. LOL

~Angela

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Let's try this again *g*

EG: *SMACK* In fact, let's make that a double *SMACK* today, 'cause my oldest daughter works for McDonald's. Yes, she's a manager, but I think she works that drive-thru on occasion. *SMACK-SMACK*

Angela: Granny is doing her "Happy Granny Dance"! Hannah Montana already, cool beans! Somehow this makes dead tomato plants not so very important. So glad you are back safe and sound, I missed you.

Betty: I have an herb garden, but I really don't cook with many herbs. I use a lot of chives, a sprig or two of rosemary, basil and parsley get used a lot, the thyme gets completely ignored. I used to have a gorgeous, huge rosemary. Decided to give it a good haircut one day and killed it dead. Planted a new one last year, but it winter killed, so I'm trying another this year. I hear you on leveling those blocks, not to mention those suckers are HEAVY! I put down an entire patio and two walkways last winter, using cement pavers, and I think they weighed around 18 pounds each...at least it felt like it!

Medo: I really don't like country music at all, but that's mostly what we get at our fair and the concerts are FREE! Free is good. I do like Carrie Underwood, and I've heard her concert is awesome. I think I should take a clipping from my cherry tomato and try to get it to AZ without freezing. I'll bet it would have time to produce before it freezes down there.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

OW! What the crap? That was alot of hitting. What'd you hit me for? The Clay comment? lol. I'll have you to know, that I've got a sister that's an assistant manager at McDonalds. I think it's just fine to work there. Boy, you're really protective of Clay, ain't ya? heh. If I ever saw him, I'd empty a class "C" fire extinguisher right there on the spot. He's definitely flaming. Heh.

EG

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

EG, I'm getting your *message*, LOL.

I finished a birdhouse. It's not quite what I wanted it to look like, but better luck next time :-) I still have to nail the base on before I take a picture.

Granny

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ROFL!!!! i used to work at micky ds and hardees when i was a younin!!! LOL i tell tabor if your gonna mess around thats where your gonna end up!! nowa days they dont take people unless they have a high school diploma, so even screw ups are really screwed!! he said awww man!! that's so ruff!! i said yep!! thats why i'm so tough with you guys. cuz as we all know. working in the fast food business is the last stop unless your a manager. if your an adult. so i want him to have higher goals than just that. and higher standards. he's starting out pretty good though. he wants to own his own business. he doesn't want to work for anyone.
    i want to have a herb garden, so far i have two mints. wait, 3 that are growing. lemon, grapefruit, peppermint, i also have mountain mint that i need to plant, i want all of the mints, and have them in one huge garden. for them. but i like to use oregano, slap yo mama, wish they made some for that!! LOL and hmmmmm....onion powder and garlic powder religiously!! and pepper. talla hates the s.y.m!! if she see's me put that in she won't eat it. ohhh and paparika..
    tabor wants to grow lemon basil. i like to use basil too. for spaghetti that everyone hates but talla and i. its funny but when i was pregnant. that was the only thing for the last part that i could eat. LOL that and crab meat with mustard on it. LOL ya know the kinda like log looking ones? well i had to have a little bit of mustard on them, now she can't even look at mustard, if she see's it she almost yaks!! LOL
    i can't wait to see your birdhouse!! ~Medo

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

OK Medo, just for you...but it isn't finished.

{{gwi:1285578}}

LOL, I didn't realize it kinda matches my cookie jar!

Granny

• bettyinga
    15 years ago

Eg and Granny - Unfortunately, I don't use herbs very much. Once in a while, I use rosemary and thyme but that's about it. I planted rosemary in the rose garden just for some winter color but they are overtaking the roses. Go figure! I grow basil just because I like to the smell - can you believe I have never had pesto. In Mel's book, there is a recipe so I am gonna give it a try.

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

that is just cute!!! i absolutely LOVE the colors!!! :')
    we are watching the worst week!! OMGoodness!! that is something else!!! LOL ok, getting back to my getting out seeds!! LOL i have to do these!! LOL but i love this forum so much!! you all are a real HOOT!!! LOL ~Medo
    and its nice to meet you betty!! WELCOME!!!

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Aw granny - that is magnificent! You should start selling them! You are so talented....I think it may be better than Bob's work.

Medo - Mustard is my favorite condiment. I put it on everything. Ravioli smothered in it is awesome!

Betty - I've never had pesto either....there's just certain things that people in the south never try, like eggplant and stuff....

EG

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

I've never eaten eggplant. I ate pesto once and liked it, but I've never made it. Somehow I don't think it would look quite right with the purple basil I grew this year!

Do you southerners like your cornbread sweet or not? I like mine sweet, my good friend thinks that's a sacrilege...but then she cannot understand how anyone can eat soup!

Granny

15 years ago

Granny -

1. Thanks for the warm welcome back and especially your loving words in regards to my daughter. I missed you, too... you sure know how to touch this girl's heart!

2. Absolutely take that cherry tomato cutting... you might be real surprised how long the plant lives in AZ, too! ;-)

3. The birdhouse is beautiful... I agree about you being a talented artist despite your humble responses...

4. I like my cornbread very slightly sweet. I guess it's sweet cornbread.... LOL... I'm not much for sweets overall, but I especially think it's strange adding something sweet to things other than desserts.

Everyone else - LOL... I'm not ignoring you all. I've read every word and am enjoying the great conversation here. Just one comment made me turn my head and that was EG, of course. He mentioned having mustard on everything. Ewwww... well, it's ewww if you're not preggo, I guess. LOL

~Angela

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

I'm finished with the painting of the birdhouses, just have to attach the bases and give them a coat of clear spray tomorrow and I'll be ready to build some more!

{{gwi:1285584}}

I like the way I hinged the tops, it will make cleanout really easy. I still need to drill some ventilation holes in the small house. I made the sides a bit shorter on the tall house to make it self ventilating under the roof eaves.

Granny

• bettyinga
    15 years ago

Wow - the birdhouses are beautiful!

Eggplant fried tastes a little bit like fried green tomatoes and I like regular cornbread - not sweet. I make both though 'cause my daughter likes sweet the best. You just can't beat a cornbread, beans, fresh tomatoes and onion supper and of course, a glass of sweet tea! YUM!

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Angela - what did I do? Oh...the mustard thing. Yeah, me and my daughter LOVE mustard. It's good on french fries and everything. When I was young, one of my friends named me "mustard man".

Granny - great work on those bird houses. I'm thinking about making one - from my own design of course. What do you think about a giant hand shooting a "bird", with a hollowed out section for the birds to get in? That'd be my bird house. heh. Cornbread.....we actually like it both ways, but most eat it without adding sweetener.

Betty - I may have to try the eggplant thing. Sweet tea rocks!! 1-1/2 cups of sugar per gallon is perfect!

EG

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

EG, why not just make miniature coffins and paint dead birds on the sides? That way they could also be used as jewelry boxes or a place to store old jars of pear preserves.

I hatses green tomatoes with a passion, so I guess that leaves eggplant out as a future crop.

Beans with anything is a perfect meal. Hot and juicy ladled over a thick slab of homemade white bread slathered in real butter......heaven. But I'll take my tea with a packet or two of Equal, thanx.

Granny

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ohhh man the kids and i love to have egg plant or zuccini or anything sliced and put spices on them and then spray that non cooking spray on it, bake it till it gets kinda brown, flip season and spray and bake and til brown and yum!!!! we absolutely love that!!! sweet cornbread for us and sweet tea all the way!!
    mustard is cool if its with some things, i have a story about mustard!! LOL
    one time we had NO food. so hubs was in the kitchen mixing stuff together trying to make us some food, this of course was befor the kiddo's came along, so he mixed some things, and of course mustard was one of the ingredients, well, i absolutely loved it. i was like what is that one flavor?? i know what it is!! what is it?? he said i can't tell you, if i do, you won't eat it, so knowing our family i HAD to know, in our family, he'd probably say something like ohhhh went to the bathroom took a dump and didn't wash his hands!! ya, we're weird. LOL so i just had to know!! so finally after about 15 minutes of badgering he told me, it was mustard!! it just didn't sit well with me, i could NOT eat another bite!!!! LOL funny how things sounds can make you not want any more of it. but being with hubs has made me not be so finiky about foods!! LOL now i love to eat pringles on bread with buttermilk ranch or miracle whip and lettuce and tomatoes and anything else. LOL well, its late start on schooling today!! LOL ~Medo

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

granny those look just gorgeous!! i forgot to tel you that earlier!! LOL ohhhhh i'd love one if you ever decide to get rid of any!! man!! i keep coming back here just to look at them!! **very admiringly**
    now where is everyone?? its 7 my time!! dinner should be done and someone should be n here besides me!! LOL *big grinn** LOL ~Medo

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Granny - I'm beginning to worry about you a bit, that coffin/bird thing was pretty messed up. It would be interesting though.....I bet they'd sell like crazy on Ebay...I'm gonna build some right now! Woo Hoo! Thanks for the idea granny!

EG

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Granny - you were trying to manipulate my thoughts, weren't you? Well....I'm not doing your sick, twisted woodworking project. There. Hee Hee. Beans, huh? I told you about that fartologist....remember?

Medo - Uhhh.....Yeah.....thanks for the visual on that story. I'll be thinking about that from now on, every time I squirt a big ol' layer of mustard on my grilled bratwurst.

EG

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

Granny the bird houses are fantastic!!! Your attention to detail in the paint is incredible!!!

As for cornbread...use a little less water and put a can of creamed corn in before you bake it....and you HAVE to bake it in cast iron or it doesn't count.

EG, you mentioned earlier you had some ideas for trellising. I may just be hitting you up for that advice. The man was upset with all of my containers at the front of the house, so I mentioned building another box with trellises. He's agreed since it goes along with his "no visible red clay" philosophy of what a back yard should look like. Woohoo!! Now I've just got to replan everything and decide how to stagger things so I can make the most out of it.

I need to go buy some graph paper.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Ribbit - if you need help constructing anything, just let me know. I'll be more than glad to help.

EG

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Have you ever put diced jalapenos in sweet corn bread? Muy bueno! I'm sure glad Google has a good on-line translator. I've had to look up a few Spanish words lately!

EG: I learned to be sick and twisted from the master of sick and twisted. I read your posts! BWAH-HA-HA!!

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL that's funny!!
    ribbit, would the man be your hubs?? mine told me i couldn't have winter sowing containers all over the yard this winter. dang ol fart!! LOL
    eg you forgot to put in your post thingi how to do the grape trellis!! dangit!! how in the heck am i supposed to show my ol fart that?? along with all the other things he ought to get?? LOL **onery grinn** LOL who eg sick and twisted?? LOL please!! don't make me laugh!! ROFL!! OMGosh!! he's a riot!! maybe i missed something, i better go back and read some more!! here ya have sweet annie, and riot eg!! LOL hmmmmm...it was funny, the other day someone was going thru my emails, and the only one pulled up was eg's, and looked thru, hubs was sitting in my seat, so i asked, and i said honey please do not say... and he said i just put your pages back to where you had it, i said ok. i said you can read my mail anytime you want, but i thought it was funny that that was the only one pulled up. well tabor was the one who pulled my email up and read it, of coarse he wants to be traded for your boys!! LOL i said no, eg can keep his onery boys!! but he can have you to and i'll send your schooling junk!! tabor said ALRIGHT!!!!! SLAPPPPP!!! LOL so i told him ""ha ha you wish sucker!!! LOL""
    tonight is hubs friday!! so tomarow he gets to cut down the tree limbs, we'll see if it actually gets done!! LOL
    and the atick gets cleaned!!
    WOO HOO! ohhh yes we get to have chilli pretty soon!! you know what else that means??? jalapeno bread!! oh ya baby!! so who's all in for football?? who's teams for who and all that?? hubs likes dallas, i like to tease him and say, aww they are gonna lose this time!! look! the other team is kickin the're butts!! LOL
    but i also like miami some for some odd reason. i think it was bred in me. LOL hmmmm what else shall i step on here?? LOL **onery grinn** ~Medo

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Granny - well, since you put it that way, ok! I love mexican cornbread, it is my fave!

Medo - Hmm...riot....ok. I don't feel like one. How about "flicted"? I like that better! I only like College football, pros are just a big bunch of over paid whiney butts. Auburn is my team, although this year won't be very good for them. Oh well, you can't be good all the time.....Oh, and i'll try to put some pics of the trellises on my blog sometime.

On a side note, the sfg presentation for the local cub scouts was on Monday night, and it was a blast! There were 12 little boys there, and at least half of them were very rowdy. One little boy was on the front row, with his enclosed fist held out to me the entire time, saying "I've got a present for ya". I was afraid what he had for me, so I just kept on going for the whole 45 minute slide show. Heh. I interact well with children, because I'm like a big kid myself. I've got a little neice that told her mom " I like Uncle Jeff, he's stupid" Heh. That's funny...

EG

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

I like you too, Uncle Jeff. You're weird.

Granny

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Hey.....everybody's gotta be sumthin.

EG

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

well stupid is cool in the way she said it!! LOL
    my tabor always calls me a dork!! LOL at first it used to really tick me off, then someone told me its a term of endearment. then it was ok. LOL but i'd watch that twinkle in his eye.

ya that little one would be a little freaky!! LOL tabor used to be in boy scouts, but it got to beboring for him. so out he went. now he wants 4h. but the moms talk about having to go to all these places!! i don't drive that much so that wouldn't work.

and you can't forget somekinda fried okra!! but maken it spicy!! ohhhh ya!! i'm liken the spicy stuff!! ~Medo

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

spicy is good

• carolynp
    15 years ago

Hey all! Finally finished up on most of my canning. I now have two dozen cans of tomato products, lol. Enchilada sauce, tomato sauce, spaghetti sauce, etc...whew! Course, at this moment, the thought of tomatoes turns my stomach, lol.
    My hubby hates country music and both boys are hard rock (Third Day, Tourniquet)fans, sigh. I miss line dancing and I would LOVE to have seen Clay Aikens. EG, I don't care if he is light in his loafers, I just wanted to look anyway, lol.
    Angela, send me your address. I bought some stupice tomato seeds from tomatofest.com. There are like 50 in the package, and you KNOW I won't use all of them. I planted two on the second week of July. 100% germination and I already have little green tomatoes coming in on them. I might actually get a fall harvest from this one. I can make green tomato salsa, I suppose, if not , sigh. Also, whoever that new person from Portland is, if you want to email your address, I send you six or so of these Stupice seeds. They are 50 day, and I suspect I may actually get tomatoes at July 4th next year. It's shaping up to be a lovely plant in any case.
    Granny have you guys started packing? That birdhouse is incredibly beautiful!! How do you do it? My mom collects birdhouses and I would just love to make her one.
    Medo, I still haven't gotten those seeds out that door. They sent them back the first time and now I just have to get my lazy fanny out the door to the post office. Our post office should win a worst architectural design award. As you walk in, the "in" door is to the right of the "out" door, and it's a very small room. So, the line to see the postal folks actually runs in front of the exit. Unbelievable! Our tax dollars at work.
    OK

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Carolyn - you know, i'm really thinking about growing lots more maters next year - cause I bet canned sauce is fantastic! Looks like a few more earthtainers on the menu....

EG

• carolynp
    15 years ago

EG: the earthtainer is going wild! Plant looks MUCH healthier than the ones in the SFG. I didn't use any fertilizer (they recommend a strip at the beginning at the top, but that looked weird to me). I empty about a third of the kids goldfish tank into it once a week (a gallon and a half maybe?) If I can figure out the photobucket place, I'll show you some pics. The bottom leaves on the thing are larger than my hubby's hands and the flowers are really large. I don't know much about the stupice, but per the tomato group they aren't as tasty as the butchers blood, but they are very prolific. I have six groups of five flowers each on it with one group of tiny green tomatoes. At this point, I'd highly recommend the earthtainer. I can also pull it around a bit, so perhaps I can get it in and out at frost date (it IS heavy, like two kids worth, maybe 75 lbs)? We'll see, lol. Clearly, I'm excited about the prospects.
    It's also yielding unexpected benefits. The lady who lives behind me wandered by one day a couple months ago. She's like ninety and she can barely get around, so her "just happened to be in the area" statement seemed contrived, lol. She wanted to know if the tomatoes were ripe yet. My hubby was just in stitches cause her place to mine is quite a trek (steep incline), and she's like, "Oh, just walking by..." So, I guess I'm getting to know the neighborhood.
    I'm going to take my sage door to door in bunches a week before thanksgiving. I'm going to tie little ribbons on it and ask folks to donate to World Vision, I'll just include the info on the ribbons and they can donate on their own. Heaven knows I have too much sage, so it'll be good to clear it out anyway.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Carolyn - I'd love to see those pictures. How many tainers do you have for growing tomatoes? Also, how many plants do you have? The reason for my questions is:
    1. I had 5 better boy plants this year, and they did really well in the sfg. These 5 plants produced plenty of tomatoes to eat between the 5 of us, and we also blanched/froze about 2 or 3 quarts.
    2. Since I know there can only be 2 plants per tainer, this would require 3 earthtainers to have the production we had this year. I currently have the materials to build two earthtainers, but I believe I will need a total of 8 plants to have plenty of tomatoes left over for canning purposes.
    3. If I knew how many plants you have versus my 5, that would help me in determining what my needs would be.

I can't relate to the "neighbor problem". Nobody steps foot on our property, and the closest house is at least 1/4 mile away. I guess I can contribute my weekly "unloading of the 12 gauge shotgun" ritual to part of the "no neighbor on the property" situation.LOL
    In closing, I'd like to say that I'm really getting into this canning thing, and anything you could contribute to the tomato preserving education of EG would be appreciated. :)

EG

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

carolyn, i'd love any of them seeds!! WOOO HOO!!! LOL i'll send you some of mine, if ya want, i can send you a clipping of my tomato/potato plant, its STILLLLL producing and looking great while all my others are flaking on me!! LOL its a keeper!! so i took clippings so i could put it in my gh when ever it gets done!! LOL
    also EG i read in one of those things that if you put the holes like a few inches up on the side, instead of in the bottom of the container, it will hold water much better and the tomatoes will grow much bigger.
    ~Medo

• carolynp
    15 years ago

EG, I'm a bad person to ask about yields. I spaced the tomatoes at 1/sf and didn't prune them. Also, I got roma grapes instead of romas (ouch on that one). I must say, if you love to have salad tomatoes, a single roma grape might be just what the doctor ordered. I've probably gotten two hundred per plant, even at 1/sf. The romas didn't do well at that spacing and I've gotten about six good tomatoes off each of them and one plant has ber on EVERY single tomato. I will probably put most of my tomatoes in the sfg, but I will grow three or four in the earthboxes. I think this one is doing better because tomatoes seem so sensitive to water and this ensures the water is exactly what they need. Also, the leaves don't get wet.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Medo - we are talking about using one of Raybo's earthtainers. It is a self watering container. :)

Carolyn - Actually, I love the grape tomatoes. My sister had 1 plant this year, and everytime she came over - I'd make her bring a bag of them with her. I'm definitely gonna grow at least 1 (probably in a large container). The earthtainers are gonna get 6 better boys and 2 sauce tomatoes (roma). I'm gonna either build the "seed starter" or 2 earthtainers this weekend. Myabe I will have time to do both!

EG

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i just checked it out!! WOW i bookmarked a bunch of pages. i think my ones i love will take up one of those. they are absoluetly nuts!!! i think i will try to get one going to put in my gh!! LOL

• carolynp
    15 years ago

Hey EG, I got some Opalka instead of the romas. The romas' poor performance this year was entirely my fault, I think, but per the tomato forum, the Opalkas have better taste and are better producers (forwarned is forearmed: most of the folks also say that they look like they're about to die through the whole season). If you're interested, I bought a whole pkg of the seeds and won't use em. Send me an address and I'll make the ugly trek to the post office on Monday, lol. I already promised to mail some seeds to some other folks, lol, so, errr...it's about time.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Carolyn - It's a deal! Maybe I can send you a few packs of different vegetable varieties in return.I've got alot! LOL

EG

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Carolyn, we haven't started packing yet...at least I haven't, but Mr. H has the canopy on the Ranger and he is already putting in things like fence posts! By the time he gets all his stuff in there, I'll be surprised if there is room left for two dogs, a rabbit (with cage) and a wife! I'm still waiting for grandbaby to be born, and hoping it is AFTER the garden freezes. Daughter went to the doctor yesterday, and there wasn't any activity going on, so it will probably be another three weeks.

Thanks for the compliment on the birdhouses. It was a fun project, and as soon as I get more lumber I'll make more. Should keep me busy through the winter.

Granny

15 years ago

I'm sorry that I haven't had enough time to check in like I should. I have been getting caught up and trying to trade for some seeds I need for my garden as well and just get caught up with the trades I had that were waiting on me.

I'm a bit upset and had to dump on you guys. I hope you don't mind. I am calling the hospital to see if we can get yet another appointment for Hannah. I am a very blessed woman, but I am just tired of being out of town... Hannah says something about the new leg is hurting her knee. I am pretty sure we will need to go back to Dallas to get it adjusted. Also, we have a regular yearly appointment coming up, too, so that will probably be ANOTHER trip this fall. UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH *okay, going to go off and cry a little so I can feel better*

~Angela

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Angela - aw man....that's a real bummer. I hope she gets fixed up. Poor little thing....

EG

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

maybe she's working it to much?? hey gf thats what we are here for!! lay it all on the line!!! ((((HUGS)))) ya know, they always say it's gonna get worse befor it gets better, so you are on your way to better!! WOOOO HOOOO!! thank GOD for that!! leave it all in his hands and it will all get better and tell that girl to slow down!! geez she aint ready for the olympics yet. geez she just got her leg!! **big smile**

so carolyn, do you want the clipping of the tomato/potato plant? i'm rooting some now, hopefully it will root really soon, if it does do ya want some of that? i would send seeds, but i don't know if it would go back to the previous form?? i like this one, so i'm gonna stay with this and keep it alive as long as i can!! for many years if i can!! i LOVE this plant!! its still producing and the flowers are still coming out and the tomatoes are still turning red!! LOL ~Medo who is happy about the tomato's when everyone else's plants are dying!!! WOOOO HOOOO!!!!! we now have a winner!!! GRINNING FROM EAR TO EAR!!! LOL

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Well, mine were actually very happy looking when I pulled them out of their home, then practiced my javelin throw with them into the woods. I snuck up on them, also! They never knew what hit 'em. heh

EG

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

(((((Angela)))))

Medo, what is the variety of that tomato? I might have to try to find it next year.

I went out this morning and took two cuttings from a cherry tomato. Just stuck one in a pot of vermiculite and the other into a pot of compost, probably won't root for me, but thought I'd give it a try. Dug up the volunteer that I'm pretty sure is a Celebrity, it has blossoms and two small tomatoes. Put it into a big pot of compost with a shot of fertilizer, will keep fingers crossed. Made a dozen newspaper pots and planted a few mesclun seeds, still have to make more pots and plant red leaf lettuce and some marigolds. Then, if anything grows, I have to figure out how to get it from here to AZ.

Granny

• jbest123
    15 years ago

EG, these two tom plants were grown in my conventional garden. You can only see about ½ of the toms, one side of the plants. I would estimate that I got about 100# from each plant before the end of the year. The first year of SFGing tomatoes did not come close to this production. I will be very interested in your venture into earthtainers, keep us posted.

John
    {{gwi:1283300}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

• carolynp
    15 years ago

I'm typing this again cause it didn't show up? Weird.
    Angela, I am SO praying for you!!
    Medo, I'm thinking I can't use it this year. I really want it, but I'm afraid I wouldn't have a place to put it during the upcoming winter season. Dang it!!
    I read on the tomato forum that alot of folks get 100lbs or more on their toms. I'm excited to see the swc results, too, lol. I was just happy that I did well at all. We had plenty for our place and for canning. And I have another one up and coming! Would be nice to have large, beautiful toms during the time everyone else doesn't! We shall see.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

I will, John.

EG

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL i am that way!! don't worry!! i'm sure i will have it in the spring and you can have a clipping of it then, or i'll go ahead and start rooting some ahead of time then i can send out some for my friends!! LOL these are some tremendous babes!! the taste is pretty ok the size is awesome!! i can't wait to find out if they really do have some potato's under them!! but they are not dying down!! LOL i just harvested my very first green zebra tomato! havent tasted it yet. kinda scared to!! LOL ~Medo

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Medo - dig one of the taters up...you can do it....nobody will ever know. I dare ya. Heh. I wanna dig my "experimental" potatoes up too. But it'll be a couple of months before I do that. Patience is a virtue....

EG

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!