Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phatboyrose

What's Growing Now

phatboyrose
14 years ago

Thought I would post what I'm growing at this time of the year. This is my first sfg and it is on wheels and it is back end of my driveway. I just harvested the last of my beans and replaced them with some turiups. And planted some more swiss chard. The sweet basil has been cut back three times so far, love pesto. The Ichabod eggplant has produced about 30 eggplants so for. First time growing this variety, woun't be the last.

Harold

Comments (5)

• spaghetina
    14 years ago

It all looks great!

May I ask how you secured the hoops over your beds, and what you used? I'm building 3 new beds, but since I know absolutely nothing about building anything, I'm learning as I go. I'll probably need some sort of covering over everything from fall into winter, since the cabbage moths around here seem to still be out in full force, and I plan on planting a lot of Chinese kale.

• phatboyrose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The hoops are made from 3/4 black water piping and they side into 1-inch pvc on end. The material I used for the cover is called tulie, I found it at walmart in the fabric dept. It comes in width of 72 inches wide. I got enough to cover a 4x4 bed for about $5.oo . To secure to the hoops just cut some 5-6 inches peices of the same water pipe and split it, then just snap it over the support pipe. Be careful doing this your can tear the fabric.

• keski
    14 years ago

Great looking garden. What a great idea to use tulle. You can get it in a form called Illusion used for bridal veils that has really tiny holes. Since tulle is usually made from nylon, it would really last. I did purchase some insect barrier from Territorial seed and it cost about 30 bucks. For my 4'x4', I used 2 10'x1/2" pvc pipe bent from corner to corner diagonally and secured the cross with a couple cable ties. Put some 6 ml plastic over it in spring and it held up with snow on it. Secured the plastic on the bottom with bricks and rocks. The pvc hasn't moved all summer through wind and rain, etc. Pole beans are climbing it.
    keski

• spaghetina
    14 years ago

Oh, I love the way you secured the tulle to hoops with the pieces of pipe on the outside. It looks so clean.

It looks like your 1" pvc is on the outside of your boxes. Did you just use a metal pipe strap to secure it? And what's holding down the tulle on the edges? Sorry if the answers seem like they should be obvious, lol. I really am kind of clueless as to how to get all this stuff to work. You should have seen me when my dad solved my rebar/landscape timber conundrum. You'd have thought I won the lottery. Don't know how I didn't figure it out on my own, but sometimes the most obvious answers are the most elusive.

• phatboyrose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Spahetina I used wood screws to fasten the pvc to the outside of the box, one screw at the top& bottom inside the pvc. I just stapled the tulle to the outside of the box. You can water wright thorugh it, and you can always restaple it if need be.

Sponsored