Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msarro

Just bought a house!

msarro
12 years ago

Hey everyone!

So, I'll be honest, I'm fairly new to gardening. My girlfriend and I had some success with a container garden on our porch in our apartment. However, we just bought our first house!

We are quite excited. We close at the end of october, and one of the things I would like to get squared away with is getting the garden ready for next year (want to deal with it while the soil is warm, before next spring).

I have access to practically unlimited compost (we have a community compost pile which sells cubic yards of compost for about $7) which I want to use to get started while my own compost pile gets going.

I have what I want drawn out on some graph paper - it contains a total of 8 4'x4' blocks. Eventually I'm going to pave around them with pavers (on top of the soil). I know this is a lot of garden space, especially using square foot gardening. We are vegetarians, and any excess after canning we plan to take to either the local soup kitchen, or the food bank.

Do you think I'm biting off more than I can chew? Should I wait until next spring to till the soil and get it ready? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?