Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
engineeredgarden

Sugar baby watermelon

engineeredgarden
15 years ago

Ok, I kept waiting for this to get bigger, but it didn't grow any for 2 weeks. Finally, the suspense was just killing me! I had to try it out. Check out this little fella! Apparently, this is as big as they get. It was pretty dadgum good, too!

EG

Comments (11)

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Ah, man...you cut it the wrong direction!

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What???? lol. That's the way I always cut'em Granny! Oh god...that made me laugh. Maybe....if you grew some....you could give me a little watermelon cutting tutorial..hee hee
    Oh yeah....I forgot....You can't grow any in Washington! NAAAAAHHH....

EG

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Excuuuuuse me, mister. The world famous Hermiston Watermelons are grown thirty miles from me, and they grow just as tasty right here in good old Eastern Washington!

Now, everybody knows you cut the watermelon the other direction, because of the way the seeds form inside. Cut one that way and look at how the seeds form a ring around the heart...it's that heart that's mmmmmm-good. It just takes a tiny bit of scraping to get the seeds out, and you can see exactly where they are. Sonny boy, you have got seed pockets all over the place!

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Oh, Granny, you're the best! I'd never have known how to cut a melon without your witty post... seriously... :-)

I have this same plant that I'm begging to come up. It's wild to see it close to your 'can' for comparison. I realy did think it would get a hair bit bigger myself. It's nice to get your knowledge once again, EG. GREAT pic... wish I'd had a taste of that there melon with ya...

~Angela

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Granny - heh. Umm....yeah. Never seen any watermelons from Washington....apples, yes! Melons, no....I'm thinking about getting really creative with the next little melon carving....hmm...lots of possibilities there....lol

Angela - You're very welcome for the photo, and yes - the "can" is always in my pocket....so, it makes a good measurement comparison. Now if I could get this watermelon cutting thing down....

EG

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

LOL! Also, since you grew these on a trellis, please, enlighten us to how that part went. Do you agree with Mel that we should trellis these? Were there any difficulties with using a trellis?

~Angela

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

EG, here's a little video for ya.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: How to cut a watermelon

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Angela - I would definitely trellis this melon, like Mel suggests. It was quite easy to do, and of course -i'll do it again this way. The knee highs worked like a charm. I'll post some photos on my blog later.

Granny - I went to your video, but as I was waiting, and waiting, and waiting for it to load - I got really hungry. So, I cut another sugar baby the same way as before. :)

EG

Here is a link that might be useful: EG's Blog

• jbest123
    15 years ago

EG, my Grandfather use to grow them farther north in PA than I am. I think I will try them next year after a bummer year with cantaloupe this year. I always thought that the southerners would bust them open instead of slicing them???

A little OT, I havenÂt been spending much time on this forum. CanÂt take the force feeding of advertisements anymore and slow loading. Hope you and Annie donÂt mind that I have linked your Blogs on my journal. If you do let me know.

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

John - thanks for linking to my blog! Sorry your 'lopes didn't turn out well. I think i'll try a different melon next year, these little melons just aren't very big - for the same amount of work as a bigger one takes.

EG

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

John, I am honored! I'll also be linking to your blog. Soon we'll have a whole slew of blogs from gardenweb!

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Granny's Blog

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz