Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summerstripes

How best to close up for the season?

summerstripes
14 years ago

Fall is definitely here and I'm looking for tips to close up my little square garden for the season. The veggies are still going strong, miraculously, but this is my first end-of-season and I'm unsure how best to close up. I am growing a mix of perennial kitchen herbs and some fruiting vegetables -- peppers and tomatoes.

My mom's flower garden always had layers of lawn clippings on it, and I know it was around the time of frost. But I have a small square foot garden that I don't want to ruin by burning or freezing it. (Forecasters are predicting one frozen solid winter after a laughably cool summer.) Should I cover it up, and if so, with what and when? We don't bag our lawn clippings here, so I might only have oak leaves and shredded recycled paper. I also wanted to know if anyone could affirm or reject my assumption that snow will, over time, compact my soil. I'd like to keep it light and fluffy.

Additionally, I've prepared two new areas for future terraced beds to be installed. Is it generally better to establish new SFG beds in the spring, or is fall a decent enough season to do it? I probably don't have the budget for new soil this fall, so it's really just a question of what you prefer and why. I want to see what experiences others could share.

Thanks for helping me learn my way around in the wily ways of soil!

Comments (4)

• sb158
    14 years ago

Honestly can't say for Wisconsin, but you could try planting a hardy cover crop, like maybe winter rye or something. You'd have to check your state extension service for what will last through your winters, but a cover crop is always a good idea. You turn it under at least 2 wks. before you want to plant in spring, and it adds organic matter and nutrition to your soil.
    Fall is the best time to prepare a new bed, as the soil is still warm and not too soggy, like it would be in spring. Plus it gives whatever fertilizers and amendments you add time to thoroughly incorporate before it freezes.
    The cover crop, btw, will also help keep the snow from compacting your soil, if it does. Having done most of my gardening in TX, I don't have much experience with snow...LOL...

• homertherat
    14 years ago

Well, in my experience, it's best to do sort of a lasagna bed on top of your existing one. Do a layer of leaves about 4 inches thick, then on top of that do a 4 inch layer of grass clippings, spent flowers, vegetable stalks, basically green stuff, then a layer of leaves, then more greens... I would only go 4 layers high if you're doing 4 inches thick, but that's what has worked for me.

As for the snow compacting your soil, it does, to some degree, but before you plant, I assume you will be digging it up rather than placing seeds directly into the soil. With the "lasagna" method that I mentioned above, you'll have to mix the compost into the soil before you plant, so any compacted soil will be broken up.

KC

• jbest123
    14 years ago

I believe it is better to leave the garden bare, free of any debris. The winter weather will kill many over-wintering insects, weed seeds, bad microbes and bad fungi. No cover crops and do the composting off-site, to be returned in the spring. The freezing and thawing cycle in spring will loosen the bedding for the plant roots to go wherever they want. Where does Mother Nature fluff up the soil before she plants her seeds?

John

Here is a link that might be useful: John's Journal

• summerstripes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I'm still undecided as to my approach. First frost has come and gone (came at the 90% chance date given by my sources), and the weather has now given way to snow. The tomatoes and basil got the worst of it and have succumbed; some fruit still ripens on the vines beneath light snow caps. I may still collect some fallen tree leaves to preserve my strawberry crowns, parsley, and a few other mostly herbal perennials, but otherwise I will probably leave the space fairly bare and see if the winter can do its worst. I've got the seeds to start over, if I need to. (I have a seed-buying problem -- or advantage, if you might agree.)

Why will I take the low-key approach? Keeping my strawberries apart was a mistake; they all grew at awkward intervals and have a better chance to survival in a cluster. I had poor defenses against pests and they were eaten despite my best climatic efforts. My thyme and marjoram were overcome by tomato shade this year and need transplantation or replacement anyway. I expanded my square-foot-garden (to be later) filled with Mel's Mix by over sixty percent, so I will have more opportunities next season. Until then, I have a lovely whole in the ground to remind me when the weather was hospitable.

As for materials, the late summer here was so dry and cool that we last mowed in July and coasted until first snowfall. The green leaves have now shriveled and fallen into the few yellows we have. No freshly-mown grass, some leaves, but the oaks haven't made their moves yet. I will probably gather some leaves and put them in the square-foot-garden, if only for the high nitrogen content they will slowly release. I already know my home garden will be far more focused on salad next year than fruit; will be shade-tolerant; will be deer-proof. In that mindset, closing up is as easy as letting the snow fall. Next spring will afford countless more opportunities to fix the mistakes I see in hindsight now that it's cold.

Thanks to everyone for weighing in, and for your expertise.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES