Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cut and Come Again Sadness (my sad salad mix story)

Posted by angelady 8 - TX (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 17, 08 at 1:16

I had the first harvest of my lifetime (that I planted and tended) with this salad mix. It took me being away and little kiddos watering sometimes and sometimes not and still made it. It took my daily inspections without complaining. It grew and grew all beautiful. We need a salad, and it was calling our name. I went to do my first cutting and cut all but 2 or 3 inches up from the soil. I left not one lone leaf.

I have maybe 6 plants of all of them (which there were tons) that actually are still regrowing. I used the method of way overplanting with the concept of never letting them grow up big into full heads.

Well, needless to say, I am SO disappointed. I asked on several other people's threads about how much to cut of the cut and come again lettuce. It seemed nobody had any great advice at that time.

Granny tells me she's done it... what did I do wrong? Should I have shaded them to protect them from burning up in the direct sun? Should I have left half their leaves? Maybe I planted them too close of a cut and come again style? Maybe I should of just planted them regular and then cut when I wanted? Uggggh

Blessings,
Angela

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cut and Come Again Sadness (my sad salad mix story)

If you cut all of the leaves off, it won't produce any more. That's why I only take the outer leaves from the romaine. Lettuce grows from the inside/out, and will continue to produce inner leaves, until frost. I'm sorry for your dilemma, I bet they were pretty! Did you take pictures? Granny can tell you how to do the "cut and come again" correctly.

EG

o
RE: Cut and Come Again Sadness (my sad salad mix story)

Angela, as long as the CENTER is left intact they should keep growing. If you left 2-3 inches, I wouldn't think you'd have stopped the growth. Maybe a better way for you would be to hand pick the outer leaves. That's actually what I do with my lettuce, it was the mesclun bed that I was cutting. I hand pick leaves from my spinach and my lettuce, only taking leaves that are large enough to use. I notice they aren't growing much right now, and the variety of lettuce I planted, Red Sails, never did get to a decent size...next year I'm going back to my old standby, Prizehead.

I ran out and took a photo of my mesclun bed, you should be able to see how closely I cut it and how tall the previous cutting has grown. BTW, I did provide filtered shade for this bed when it was hot...I placed a sheet of white plastic lattice over it, which let it sun, shade and water through.

It looks pretty rough, because I just cut last night and then I dug a bunch of it up and put it in containers to hopefully transport to AZ!

We are expecting temps back up in the low 70s with lows in the 40s again, so I've moved the seedlings outside. The red lettuce plants I'd put inside under the light turned green! No red in them at all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here