Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cubic ft/yd of garden

Posted by barrbsie 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 16, 09 at 7:40

I posted a message here but cannot find it, could someone help me calculate how much of the mels mix I will need for this spring? also is it okay to put in now and cover up?

Yesterday we built 8 2x14 beds
5 4x4 beds and used 2x12s 6" tall

I need to know how much of the peat, vermiculite and compost to add. I would sure appreciate any replies....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cubic ft/yd of garden

Ok barrbsie;
It's a cool damp day in the north and I am stuck indoors.
do you mean 8 beds 2 ft.x 14 ft. x 6 inches.
5 beds 4ft. x 4ft. x 6 inches.

Curt:-)

o

I see your post was found . Thanks hellbender.

Curt:-)

o

I replied in the other post, but assuming the beds are really 6" tall (though as hellbender said, I guess they're actually 5.5" tall) and you're going to purchase enough to fill up the 6" beds to the very tippity top, and you're going with the 1/3 ration, you'll need approx. 1.89 cubic yards of each.

o

I would fill the beds now but not cover them. Let them get good and soaked this winter also the red worms and microbes will work on the mix when it is not frozen.

John

Here is a link that might be useful: John's Journal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here