Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hoo boy.....wind

Posted by duhast 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 13, 08 at 10:15

Santa Ana winds next two days....gusts to 60 mph. I think my garden may be toast. Won't know until after work......

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hoo boy.....wind

Good luck to ya...it was a 65 mph gust that took the big maple tree down onto my garden! My garden froze Saturday night, so nothing left to worry about now, other than the clean-up and soil amendments.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

o

I'm worried about plants getting beat up....

o

We've had some fierce winds here as well. Not 60 MPH winds, but still high enough for us to knock down a couple of limbs and trees. One HUGE oak limb fell within 1.5 feet of my box. I was so grateful it didn't hit anything important (the box, let alone the house!!)

o

I hope you are not close to the fires. It really looked scary on the news this morning!

o

Yikes! Any news on the garden yet?

o

1. Not near the fires. I'm in the OC, south of Disneyland.

2. We didn't have the expected winds today. The peppers looked a little tired and droopy, peas lost a twig or two, but the butternut squash got beat up. Some of the leaves looked like rags. I trimmed it a little and gave everything a good drink last night. Haven't seen things today yet.....

o

Hey duhast, how close are you to Blythe?

Granny

o

About 180 miles as the crow flies.

What's in Blythe besides Steaks & Cakes and humidity?

o
RE: Hoo boy.....wind and Blythe

Me, about twice a month. If you were closer, I'd meet you at Sizzler for lunch...they have a good one there! Believe me, when you live in Bouse, AZ Blythe is big city! They also have Ace Hardware and K-Mart, a patch of alfalfa behind Albertsons (for our rabbit's alfalfa habit), and a good family doctor. Looks like you and I are about 230 miles apart though.

Granny

o

I try to avoid that part of the desert. I even like Barstow to Kingman better than Indio to Phoenix, though Needles to Kingman is pretty crap.

o

LOL, my kids' god parents are in Blythe. I'm with duhast, we make them visit us.

o

You guys have never been to Bouse, LOL! Blythe is really a depressed area, but at least it has a store or two! It's only 50 miles from us, and our only other shopping area is either Lake Havasu City at 70 miles or Buckeye at about 90 miles. If we're really going to shop, we go to Goodyear so we can hit just about every store we want in a ten mile radius.

duhast, I haven't been from Needles to Barstow, just Needles to Vegas or Laughlin. Needles is worse than Blythe in my opinion.

Did we just go off topic? I wonder how that happened ;-)

Granny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here