Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
SFG And Drip Irrigation

Posted by glennyb 5b (Chicago) (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 13:35

Hi Folks,

My first year in veggie gardening has been pretty successful and I'm taking my lesson's learned and beginning to apply it to next year's plan.

One of the efforts I would like to undertake is drip irrigation, especially since we are doing an overall re-landscaping of our yard and would like to implement it with our new shrubs, roses and native plants we will be planting (I'm pretty psyched about it!).

I have a couple of questions I wanted to ask the experts here.

1) I'm thinking of going w/ dripworks but I'm a little worried about being tied to a single online supplier rather than a place I can pick something up at in a pinch. Any recommendations on brands sold at local stores?

2) I'm wondering about emitters. Most of the suggestions for Raised beds appear to be inline emitters or soaker lines but with SFG I'm wondering if individual emitters would be more appropriate given that you could theoretically have tomatoes in one square and garlic right next door.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: SFG And Drip Irrigation

Hey I just made my sqaurefoot garden but instead of drip lines or soakers, I found an irrigation grid. It partitions the garden into sqaurefoot .. sqaures. (haha) and surrounds the plants with a steady stream of water. I love it!
The company is gardeninminutes.com, not sure if that's something you are looking for, but definitely a nice change from all the mess of soaker hoses and drip lines. They also have expandable cedar raised garden boxes that are beautiful! Hope this helps.

o
RE: SFG And Drip Irrigation

i made mine from home depot drip irrigation stuff, and a bucket. Ran 3/4" polyethylene sprinkler pipe down the middle(you can get it in 3ft lengths, connectors are all over HD) and ran legs off of it with drip line(i think emmitters every foot) put a garden hose connector on one end, and plug the other. I hook up the bucket, fill it up, add fish emulsion and drink beer(or coffee, depends on when im watering) after about an hour, fill it up again.repeat as neccessary.

Like to tell you it works awesome, but everything kind of sucked in my garden last year(except anaheim chilis and jalapenos) I will say nothing died from dehydration, just a myriad of other things. I can try and get pics if needed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here