Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How can I make a trellis?

Posted by Maxim1122 none (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 15:04

Hello!
This winter will be my first SFG season (or garden season in general). I live in a warm climate, it means that it doesn't freeze where I live. I'm planning to grow some winter squash and peas on a trellis, and I'm feeling to make a DIY trellis just because the ones in my nursery are too big, and I need something portable and quite small, since I don't have a lot of space.
Does anyone have instructions on how to build a small one? And how many peas can I grow in one square?
One more question.. In the summer, do you suggest caging my tomatoes or using stakes?
Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How can I make a trellis?

The easy way to make a trellis is to use 6-foot metal posts and galvanised wire, nylon rope or netting which are all available from Home Depot of Lowes. Simply pound the posts in the ground about 18 inches and connect them with the wire or rope at 1 foot intervals. Recommend a post every 6 feet. Alternatively you can use wooden lattice instead of wire/rope and 4X4s instead of metal posts. In that case you will need a posthole digger to dig holes for the 4X4s.

o
RE: How can I make a trellis?

I decided to go with a wooden lattice, I found the Ideal size for 2 squash plants, a 2x4, and I'm just going to stick it in the ground just in the middle of the 2 plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here