Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbest123_gw

The winter garden is on its way

jbest123
14 years ago

It is not a RB or a SFG, it is a RCCAWG (raised container, controlled atmosphere winter garden). The surface area of the containers is almost exactly 16 sq ft. The four containers on the left will be onions and spinach. The four in the center will be peppers, Big Dipper, Sweet Banana, Red Bell and ???. The four on the right will be Red Top and Bibb lettuce and Endive. The two 5 gal buckets will be Early Girl tomatoes. I have grown every thing except the tomatoes and peppers in the GH before with very good results. I think the peppers will do well with smaller fruits though, the tomatoes will depend on the number of sun hours. I should at least get an early spring crop of tomatoes. John

{{gwi:306668}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

Comments (7)

• eaglesgarden
    14 years ago

I need some more information about this! Dimensions/materials of the greenhouse? Temp inside? Temp outside? heating system?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

• ribbit32004
    14 years ago

I love your projects, John! They get better and better. How did that swivel arm work out for you this year?

• jbest123
    Original Author
    14 years ago

eaglesgarden, it is a Rion 8 1/2 by 8 1/2 ft with twin wall polycarb panels. I heat it with a 10k btu blue flame heater set on the lowest setting. during the coldest part of winter, it will keep the min temp between 50 and 55 deg f.

ribbit thanks, it worked great along with the kneeling pad. I used them on every bed. No banged up knees at the end of the day.

John

• eaglesgarden
    14 years ago

thanks!!!

• engineeredgarden
    14 years ago

John - You're so mean!!! Why did you have to post that photo of your GH? Dangit, you'll have ripe tomatoes at christmas....LOL. I can see you now, sitting in a lounge chair while sipping on a BM - and thinking about EG's "lack of any kind of season extender". I'd really like to have one myself, but the only location for one is in the front yard (which is not gonna happen). I do have a question, though....What are your heating costs for the winter? I'm planning on incorporating three 4ft x 4ft dome style hoop covers into my raised bed for propagation purposes, and haven't decided on a heating method yet...

EG

• jbest123
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi EG, long time no see. I heat the GH with natural gas, it is on the same line as the house, and garage so there is no way of telling what the actual cost is. I have sat in the GH before sun up with temperatures outside less than 32 deg and high winds. I was surprised at how infrequently the heater came on. I cannot say that about other GHs that I have owned though. In AL, I suspect that you will have a bigger problem keeping any transparent structure cool when the sun is out even in winter. On a clear sunny day even in winter, the GH will be at 90-95 deg.

You had better get something going, with Granny in AZ with her garden and my winter garden; we will have you pacing the floors before spring. ;o) ;o)

John

• engineeredgarden
    14 years ago

John - No sir....I'm not doing that whole "winter gardening" thing again. I'm really wanting something to put my transplants in, when they become too big for the propagation chamber. You've got me thinking, though....What I need to focus on is some thermostatically controlled ventilation.

EG

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!