Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolynp_gw

Creativity help

carolynp
15 years ago

Here's a pic of my herb garden on the side of the house. It's about 2'x6' on the side of the house.

The sage is taking over in here. I have two problems:

The soil here is awful: it used to be a wood pile that we cleared out when we first moved here. I just planted some herbs I knew I'd want, and they lived! The sage is taking over, so I'd really like to take a few of the plants out and plant them in pots and give them away. Do I just pull them up and put them in soil? Is it just that easy?

I'd like to add a plant or two here, but the soil is terrible. I there anything I can put in there while I wait for the soil to get better as I add compost? Something shallow maybe? It will get 4 to 6 months of rain and at least a few weeks of snow in the middle of the season. Do you guys figure I could put the garlic in there? It doesn't have alot of depth. If I put the spade in, six inches down, I get a rock solid bottom. I've pulled out the pole beans in the middle in the container, so I can put something in there, too. What do you think?

Comments (10)

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

If it were my little plot, I'd carefully remove the herbs, divide them and pot what I wanted and give the rest away. Then I'd pot the sage in a larger container to confine it to its own space. I'd buy some flashing (cheap stuff, whatever you can find in metal or strips of fiberglass....anything that would protect your house siding) and attach it to the house, then buy a couple bags of compost or composted steer manure and just make a mound there for planting, which would give you plenty of depth. Would some kale or Swiss chard grow there this time of year? They would be pretty, but I'm not familiar with their growing habits in your climate. But if either would grow there, plant them in a half-circle in the center of the mound and place the potted herbs on either side, with smaller pots toward the front of the mound. I just think it would be easier to build the soil UP rather than try to dig the amendments down into the hard pan.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• reba_nc
    15 years ago

Also, have you thought about putting some gravel down and doing some potted herbs there? That would eliminate the soil issue all together. Having the herbs in various sized pots would be attractive and keep them in control.

• jbest123
    15 years ago

The first thing that comes to mind is termites. If there was wood stacked there when you moved in and the rain that you get, I would keep that area clear for a while so to inspect for little mud tunnels leading to the frame work of the house. I donÂt want to alarm you but you have to be vigilant with those critters.

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

• carolynp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

All good ideas I think. Hmmm...
    BTW John, very wise!! We had the area inspected for termites as soon as we removed the wood, lol. I think we were just lucky but the bug guy said because we have a concrete foundation it wasn't an attractive place for them.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i do agree with the pots for the herbs, since they like to take over where they go, but you could plant the kale and such in between them, that would look so awesome!! ya know, since they won't spread. also Granny has an awesome idea!! or if ya know a farmer, ask for some poo!! i'm sure he'd give ya some Hee Hee **truely onery grinn*** LOL
    as soon as ins is on my truck, i want more poo to fill the back of that baby!! ohhhhh ya!! but this time i got a surprise for that son of mine!! Hee Hee alll giggles and grinns!! and i think you know me well enough to know what it is!! Hee Hee ~Medo

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Garlic is fine in 6 inches. I had a long and relavent post that got munched by errors. So I'll leave it like that. Hehe

• carolynp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Sinf! And btw: your blog rocks!!

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

I agree about potting the herbs, Carolyn. Sorry I couldn't have any more good advice to add, though, as far as design.

As for pulling them up... what I do (not sure this is technically the right way, but has worked for me), is I loosen up the soil around the roots with large salad fork by wiggling it in and out of the soil lifting to the side some here and there... kind of shaking loose some soil as I do it. I keep going around the plant until I've loosened each one up sufficiently, then pulling them gently out works. It will probably have a lump of soil in with heart of the roots, then you'll see less soil and just the roots themselves after that. It's okay to trim roots if you need to while trying to get them out of the ground. I try to mess with them as little as possible. Then, pot them up, divide them, whatever you're gonna do... (Again, this is not official info, just what I've done so far...)

Blessings,
    Angela F.

• carolynp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Angela!

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

No problem, Carolyn! I kind of forgot to mention that I make sure the soil has been very well watered recently first before I start. Then, once I carefully replant them, I also give them a good drenching and draining in their new enviroment, too. This helps them settle in. :-)

Blessings,
    Angela

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus