Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My zuchini....

Posted by duhast 10 (SoCal) (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 9, 08 at 16:59

...keeps dropping flowers. What's up with that?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My zuchini....

Are you getting really hot temperatures? This suggests that may be the cause:
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/cornucop/2003081901015268.html

o

I was going to suggest, if they are young plants, they might be male blossoms and all will be well when the females appear...just as in human life LOL. Those guys just can't live without us gals!

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

o

Temps been in the mid 80's.

Don't know enough about plant sex yet to tell the flowers.

I do see fruits growing now......

o

duhast, if there is a straight narrow stem that the flower is attached to, it's a male. If there is a round swelling right under the flower, it's a female.

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

o

That is the BEST picture I've seen to show the flower sexes! Wow, Granny! Thanks!

Blessings,
Angela

o

Looks like the droppers were male. It's getting cool here now, does each female need to be pollinated, or one makes the plant fertile?

o

Each female must be pollinated that you want to make a fruit. If you want to be totallly sure that it is, then you might want to hand pollinate early in the morning. If it's getting cool, you don't want to load them down with too many fruits or maybe none will ripen... I'm no expert, but I hear a lot of people saying things like that...

Blessings,
Angela

o

I hand pollinated all my squashes this year. I just took a q tip and pulled pollen off the male flowers and stuck em in the females. It's easier than you would think and you get to know they've been exposed to the pollen.

o

I really like the Q-tip idea... I've been doing it a slightly harder way... I'm definitely switching to your idea!

Blessings,
Angela

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here