Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bush Bean Help Please

Posted by mistermower (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 19, 08 at 17:10

Hello
Next year I would like to try Bush Beans, I was not too successfull this year with climbing beans as the chipmunk ate all of the stalks of every plant I had,,,,go figure. Has anyone here had any experience with Bush Beans ? If so what did you think of them ?
Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bush Bean Help Please

Prolific, heavy producers for a couple of weeks, then nothing. However, if you plant them in succession, you can have them producing all season. Some have had good luck with cutting them back to the second node when production slows/ceases, and they grow and produce another good crop. They do take a lot of space. I had 2/3 of a 4x4 bed filled and they were hard to find, hard to pick. In the future, I'll plant only along the edge of the bed, no deeper than one square.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

o
RE: Bush Bean Help Please

Mine never got big, were hard to germinate, and didn't seem to produce much at all. Of course I didn't trim them back at all. I'm going to stick to pole beans. Sorry you had chipmunk problems. Chicken wire may help with that. Ask EG.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here