Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help! my green bean plants are dieing!

Posted by ashley_1970 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 1, 05 at 17:17

i can't seem to understand how to water these bean plants.. I have a 4X4 raised bed garden and had three healthy green bean plants and was giving them a nice soak in the am.

I live in Phoenix and it was a very hot summer. It has just recently started cooling off at night and in the morning. One of the plants has died. The leaves just shriveled up and died and the second looks to be doing the same. I don't know if i am overwatering or underwatering.

I skipped waterning them today to see what happens. Will check them in the morning. What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help! my green bean plants are dieing!

I don't know what the bean season is in your area, but in my area the plant would have already been dead. I am assuming these are bush beans and not pole beans? Even my pole beans have finished for the year and are in decline. Just pulled them all up yesterday.

o

• Posted by Kris 8b DFW (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 3, 05 at 22:56

I would suspect some sort of bacteria fungus or virus. I think pythium causes sudden wilt in beans. Check with the guys over on the vegi forum, they know way more. Usually when a plant suddenly keals over it is some sort of disease. My beans are just setting flowers here in Tx for a fall crop. So unless your nearing freezing temps I don't think your season is over.

o

try asking in the vegetable forum where you may find people who know what may be effecting you beans.

o

Hi
I am in Palm Springs, California and I just picked and ate the first Kentucky Wonder pole beans of the season. Also I was able to pick and eat the first okra. Got one new cucumber on the one vine that survived the summer.

8 great tomato plants are 12 foot high they are flowering now but no setting. the Sweet 100 tomatos are going great they are green now.

Two egg plants survived the summer also. These plant will give us more than we can eat. They are in bloom now but as yet not fruit.

Basil is great. One plant. I just got to keep picking it and keeping it from going to seed.

I have one potato plant also.

All these are planted in Two 8X4 raised beds. The supersweet 100 cherry tomatos are in one 4X4 raised bed.

Also in the yard is one tangeringe grafted onto sour orange. A Lemon, Mexican Lime, valencia orange and grapfruit. There is a dwarf plumb tree as well.
I think I lost to peach trees and one apple tree.

I almost forgot I planted charlston grey watermellons as ground cover. They taste great.

Any suggestion on what to plant and at what time would be great.

Noeld

Here is a link that might be useful: Tai Chi Education and Research Institute

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here