Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
briandorry55

Help with Compost Sources in West Central Florida

BrianDorry55
10 years ago

Hello Everyone!

I am finally putting together my first square foot garden this weekend!...Naturally, I am scrambling to find sources because I'm mostly limited to big box stores in my area, Spring Hill, FL.

So here's what I've got.

1. Worm Compost from Rabbit manure from a great local company, Rabbits Etc. (so glad I found this source, wish I could use more of this but I've been advised not to on this board in the past)

2. Black Kow

3. Mushroom Compost ("Just Natural" brand from Lowes)

4. Black Hen (with a 25 or so minute drive out to Brooksville)

5. ???????

The only other things I've been able to find in my local stores is more Cow Manure Compost ("Just Natural" brand), Earthgro Compost derived of not less than 51% cow manure and not more than 49% "forest products" (I just know in my heart that this is full of peat), and Scotchman's Choice "Organic" Compost from Wal-Mart...which I have not heard promising things about.

I can't even find 4 cu. ft. bales of peat, which is frustrating because that is exactly how much I need...

I want to do this right the first time, I don't want to half-a** this...so I'd really like to find a decent 5th source.

So the question I am asking is, does anyone in the surrounding area - Hernando, Pasco, Citrus counties know of another good compost source in our area that doesn't fall into the categories that I've already mentioned? Or does anyone in the area have a compost pile at home that you would be willing to sell me some? (I would be forever grateful!)

If not, does anyone else have any solutions?

Who knew the 4 cu. ft. of coarse vermiculite would be the easiest thing to find!?

Thanks for any and all help!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022