Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adding compost to compost

Posted by jusme_newby 5b North-Central MO (nanchugh@grm.net) on
Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 22:47

My compost bin will not be ready by the time spring rolls around. I purchased three types of compost bagged (Cotton Burr, Cow Manure and Mushroom) and was planning on using my own next spring.

Can I add my purchased compost to my pile (made up mostly of chicken manure and wood chips) and hope it cooks down by spring? Also, do I need to "balance" the amounts?

This will be my first SFG and I want to follow Mel's formula as close as I can

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adding compost to compost

If it were me, I would not add the bought compost to my compost pile. Let your pile cook down over the winter and then mix them when you fill your beds. Use equal amounts of each type of compost. the bought compost has already cooked down, so I dont think it would do much if added to the pile. But I am a newb like you, so if I am wrong, someone will probably correct me shortly.

o

The purchased compost probably has a lot of good bacteria in it and it might cause your compost to cook more rapidly. If it is administratively easier, I would go ahead and mix them, as long as you have a sufficient amout of green matter or manure to help with the cooking process.

o

Thanks.
I am checking with some Amish friends to see if they will sell me some of their horse manure to add to my pile.

o

I would be very careful with using cotton burr. There is lots of chemicals in cotton burrs. Lots of bad stuff, farmer trying to kill bole weevils I knew a lady that got very sick and had to see a doctor, because her son put down cotton burrs in her garden.

o

Cotton burrs are generally not a good compost to use on a vegetable garden for the reasons that Maternut stated. The insecticides directly hit the entire cotton plant including the cotton bulbs (which includes the hulls) in order to kill the bole weavils. I am not sure about cottonseed hulls however since the cotton seeds never are directly hit by the insecticide. I used cottonseed hulls on my father's garden to no ill effect that I know off. If you are going to use horse manure for your compost pile, it will need to cook very hot in order to kill the grass/oat seeds or you will have a invasive grass problem in your garden. For my compost I visit the local Fairfax VA transfer facility where I can get free composted leaves that are a dark and loamy compost. I mix those with vegetable scraps, grass clippings, coffee grounds and composted manure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here