Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolynp_gw

Cool seed source

carolynp
15 years ago

I decided to blow the last of the garden budget and buy some seeds for spring (ish). I've bought seeds from tomatofest and heirloom seeds (both had fantastic customer service and near 100% germination). Here are some of the seeds packs from them:

On Monday, I ordered more seeds from Baker seeds. Just got em and look at the cool packages!

Looks like the melon package is a hand drawing:

See the cute watermelon man in the picture?

This just made my whole day! Aren't these the coolest? It makes me want to start planting. I sure hope they don't turn out to be lousy seeds! It would break my heart.

Comments (12)

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Carolyn - I ordered 7 packs of heirloom tomato seeds from tomatofest.com, and got a bonus pack. Did you get one also?

EG

• carolynp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did! All three of these guys sent me a free package of seeds. I had one package of seeds from Heirloom seeds that was a dud (zero germination), so I sent them a note to tell em about it and they wanted to send more to me, but I was like, "Hey, I just used the space with the free packet. Saul good." On these, they sent a package of Rotonda Bianca Eggplant seeds. We never eat eggplant, but these are white with pink striping!! I can't wait to grow them: hubby thinks I'm crazier today than I was yesterday, lol. He's probably right!
    BTW: on the backs of the packages they have different charts and information! I am just so freaking impressed, lol. This one has a planting chart for various veggies with row spacing and planting depths.
    Is this what it means to be obsessive?

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Hmmm......it's probably more like - obsessive gardening disorder....The bonus pack that I received was "Dagma's Perfection", a Yellow tomato....Can't wait to try that one.
    Looks like we will be the heirloom tomato growers of the group....and using earthtainers, as well... I can't wait!

EG

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Don't take claim to the heirloom tomato growers of the group without including me! I have 25 varieties or so I think I'm going to be growing in the spring if things work out, maybe sooner if I can get some greenhouse-type thing going! LOL

Carolyn, I'm glad you're so happy with your purchases. (LOL) You sound like a little schoolgirl... that's how I feel about the seeds I get in from trading as well as the ones I send out. It really is fun to be obsessed... hee hee

Blessings,
    Angela

• carolynp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think we'll have a whole group of us heirloom tomato growers! I'm a little curious as to why my heirloom tomato is doing so well. I mean, it seems counter-intuitive, doesn't it? The thing with no resistance does better than the ones with in bred resistance. Any hypotheses?

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Angela - didn't know you were gonna be one also.....sorry. I'm sure there are more. You know, 25 varieties is ALOT! I'm only growing 6, and that's a pretty big deal for me. We'll have to share lists later.

EG

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Hmmmm.... that is pretty interesting, Carolyn... I've heard some horror stories about people growing their heirlooms... I'll have to build mesh houses to protect mine from bugs as I just spotted some already and this is pretty late in the fall.... who tells these guys that there's a garden 30 miles away, head northeast until you get to the two-story home with the little above ground pool in the backyard... yep, she's the one with the trampoline and the red brick garden beds.... LOL

I will try to make a list of all my tomatoes before spring, EG. I was just teasing ya.... I didn't get my feelings hurt or anything (even though you guys know I'm a softie!).... I just didn't want to be left out of the "click"... hee hee

As for the seeds, it's hard to read what all you got there. I see the purple tomatillos... I just got some of those myself! Just ask me before you go buying anything else, okay? I have tons of stuff I'd love to share with you! Do you want any more heirloom 'maters, by chance? I'm going to be sending you a surprise package like you did me... you blow me away, you beautiful person, you! I especially liked the scripture on the envelope you sent. Very touching indeed, Carolyn.... wow....

Blessings,
    Angela

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Isn't it too early to be ordering seeds for 2009? I mean doesn't it guarantee that you'll be getting 2008 seeds? Or am I just wrong and should be buying seeds for next year now?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

• carolynp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Actually Sinfonian, the seeds I just ordered all say "packed for 2009", but you're probably right. I had a bit left in the budget, so I used the opportunity to pick up the things I want in the garden in early spring. I don't believe in seed dates. If that sounds like the least scientific thing I've ever said, it probably is. I've read that seed germination will drop to 12% in three years, yet I had fantastic luck with some sugar baby pumpkin seeds that I have from 1992 here at the house. I don't know if it's just luck, but I doubt these seeds will last more than two years anyway, lol. I'm already planning several more boxes.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

From my experience, the seeds will last for several years - if kept under the right conditions. The germination rate of ten year old seeds will actually surprise you. As a precaution, I intend on planting at least 25% more than necessary - just for insurance.

Speaking of seeds.....does anyone want a new pack of sugar baby watermelon? I've got at least 2 or 3 packs left....Let me know. As a matter of fact.....I think we should create a thread for seed swapping, as i've got tons to trade...What about it, Angela?

EG

• carolynp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That would be cool for me. I have lots of extra seeds, but because I buy them instead of gathering them, I only have a few at a time. Because of that, I'd never get involved with the exchange.
    I do think we should get a mass opinion. I'm sure there are those who don't like the ot who might have a preference.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

medo piping in here!! LOL
    hey if you keep your seeds in the right conditions, they'll last for i can't remember how many years, but a lady in canada found some of her mom's seeds, and they had been up in the back of a closet for like 10 years, and they germinated. now how crazy is that?
    now a thread for just us sfg'rs? that'd be awesome!! LOL we hve lots of seeds. and some unamed stuff too. those are flowers of somesort though.
    25 heirloom tomatos? WOW angela!! that's just awesome!! i didn't get very many heirlooms
    , but alot of the newer kinds. or i should say the regular kinds.
    last year i did have a few different heirlooms. they were cool. till we went to topeka alot during the summer, died. crazy things!! LOL we made it to our 19th wedding anniversary today!! WOO HOO!! LOL ~Medo

Sponsored