Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelady777

frostbit

As for saving my plants, I guess I managed to save most of them okay. Some I did lose altogether, 2 for sure. The rest look like they're gonna recover. Some got it worse than others. The one that wasn't covered at all, was complete toast. It looked like lettuce that accidentally gets frozen then thawed out... kind of soggy and see-through rather than plump, healthy, and green.

Anyone else have some bitten plants that are okay? Any losses?

Blessings,

Angela

Comments (9)

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i have these mustard greens that got bitten on the edges. but they seem to be just fine. the rest, died all the way, hate that when it happens!! i'm so sorry that you lost your food/plants!! :'( ~Medo

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, I'm sorry you lost so many at once, Medo! I have thought numerous times about moving up a little more northern, but then I'd get more bitten stuff, wouldn't I?

Blessings,
    Angela

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

Only thing I've still got going are three brussles and four cabbages and I'm not sure if they're ok or not, but I'm leaving them for now to see what they can do.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Man, what a bummer....somehow I feel lucky. This weather has been so unpredictable this year...

EG

• carolynp
    15 years ago

Wow Angela! Is there anything you can't do, lol? I haven't figured out how to keep things going through the winter and I'm thinking I'll probably just let it ride for now. Our winters are typically pretty mild, so next year I'll probably try the coldframe.
    My weather has been strangely warm. Weird for us. Even the almanac says we should have gotten snow in the last two weeks. So strange. In any case, garlic is doing nicely and that's about all I figured I could overwinter besides the test case tomato. Stupice is still around! Producing like crazy, but not ripening, dang it. I guess that makes sense, but it's awful over all, rofl. The juliettes are still ripening, but I have to pull the rest of the last bed. I have to make four pies, eight turkey placemats, polish a ton of silver, and recover some chairs. I'm thinking it'll wait til next week.

• mike_in_paradise
    15 years ago

Here is most of what I have left in the garden.

I have about 7 square of carrots left in boxes beside the cabin.

The Endive and Chard have survived the frost so far. It is going to be -5°c tonight which will be hard on them.

I move some chard in the house along with some pepper and they are not doing that well. The pepper have been turning red but have stayed real small.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

see, next year, i'll have my tomato's in them containers, and other things in them containers that i'll have to move later, so i'll have them moved to the gh. hmmmm.....assuming that "hubs" of mine has helped. ohhhhh he** he'll never do that unless there was a pretty lady there to help or a pic of her, so i think it's gonna be tabor and i doing this alone, i shoulda known that. :'( **sorry bout that**
    i didn't lose to many, so that was not to bad. i pulled the one tomato plant, wish i hadn't though,.!! LOL ~Medo

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ribbit - I sure hope those brussels and cabbage do a big rebound for ya!

EG - I'm glad you're still feeling lucky about your garden... yes, unpredictable is right.

Carolyn - I think I'm just desperate is all! (LOL) And, yes, everything else can wait until after Thanksgiving.

Mike - I think your garden takes the prize for this late in the year ESPECIALLY in your zone!

Medo - Yes! Won't that be great to be using your GH? WoooHoooo!

Now for the bad news..... somehow we didn't manage to have the time to get the greenhouse done. I am SO saddened. I guess I will be toting my containers upstairs to one of the bedrooms and cover them well so they live while we're gone to my dad's. I am just sooo not happy about this! I wanted my greenhouse!

Blessings,
    Angela

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Sorry about your greenhouse. I know how projects slip, especially big ones. The good thing is it'll be ready for next year!

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts