Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
32" High Raised Beds

Posted by skagit_goat_man_ WA (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 1, 12 at 9:45

After a surgery this summer I am no longer able to kneel and work on my regular sfg raised beds. The easiest height for me to garden at is 32". I don't want to fill it all with my custom mix because it's too expensive and not needed. I'm thinking of filling the first 16" to 24" with a porous material and then have 8 to 16" of the growing mix on top. Have any of you done something similar and what filler material did you use?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 32" High Raised Beds

Many people in your situation use what is called Table Top beds. Check out this discussion.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t41-table-tops-take-sfg-to-a-higher-level

o

Thanks, some pretty interesting designs there.

o

I recently read a book called "Stand Up and Garden" by Mary Moss-Sprague which discusses using raised beds at about waist height using a 36" tall frame. Ms. Moss-Sprague fills her frames with straw up to about 8" from the top and then fills up the rest with the soil mix of her choice. She also provides details for setting up a drip irrigation system.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't use that method, or even fill up the bin with shredded leaves, letting the lower layer become leaf-mold over a year while gardening on top of it. You could even put wood and branches in the bottom, a layer of straw, and then soil mix on top to make a hugelkultur bed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stand Up and Garden

o

If you have a transfer center near you that gives away free leaf mulch, you can fill the lower 24 inches with leaf mulch. You can also use straw or any type of organic filler. I know one woman that put limbs, straw and leaf mulch on the bottom and her garden soil mix on the top.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here