Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are gourds good for SFG?

Posted by boodeeradley Texas (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 25, 10 at 11:38

Wanted to plant gourds this year, but I'm thinking I may have to plant them in a different way than SFG. What do you guys think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are gourds good for SFG?

It will depend a lot on what variety you have in mind.

I have grown loufa gourds in a SFG, on a trellis, with good results. The gourd did take over the trellis almost 100%, and I got 2 loufas for my efforts.

Most gourds are sprawling vines that can grow 20 feet or more. Check the particular variety you want to grow and see how big it gets, and try to find out whether it would do well on a trellis. Otherwise you'll be looking at something that will want to venture off into your yard to an extent you might not want.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here