Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New To SFG - Need Help!!

Posted by eastpenna (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 11:44

I am new to gardening let alone SFG and really need some help. Last year in my NON-SFG I had 6 bush beans going across a 4 foot wide bed, when looking at the SFG method, it is telling me to plant 9 per square foot? Is this going to be too crowded or what? Same thing with the romaine lettuce. This is just a couple of examples.

I really could use some help from folks that have been SFG gardening for some time now. Does this method work better than row planting? Or just make the garden super crowed and hard to take care of?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New To SFG - Need Help!!

Ha Ha No they do not get to crowded. The thing I have found on spacing is this, How mature do you want your vegetables to be when you harvest them . and just what cultivar are you planting. Some times I wish Mel would have put spacing into a range Like( radish 9-16 per square ) carrots (Nantes 25 spring 16 summer) .. Now do you get the idea. So does it work better than row planting I think so. weeds are surly not a problem. The need to irrigate increases due to the close planting especially as plants mature. In all other matters it seems to be easier to square foot than row crop for me. When you get into the successive inter cropping that's when the square foot way really shines.

Curt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here