Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joannedisfan

Hydro and SQ Ft Method

joannedisfan
15 years ago

I am in the planning stages of my garden. Until recently my plan was to go with the SQ Ft Method, but I am now condiering Hydroponics or a combination sq ft and Hydroponic method. I'm wanting to grow enough vegtables to fee my family of 3. My plans were to build 9 4x4 beds to meet this need. My thoughts are to stick with the same boxes but add a flood and drain system and use just vermicutlite or pearlite as a substrate and provide all nutients with hydroponic water soluble nutrients. I was just wondering if anyone else had tried this and how did it work? My biggest concern is that certain plants perfer different nutients and I would have to make sure the nutient mix was suitable to all the plants in that box.

Comments (7)

• jbest123
    15 years ago

joannedisfan, I do not think you will get the flavor and vitamins in your harvest using hydroponics and vermiculite/pearlite. That is why I used 100% homemade compost instead of MelÂs Mix. I only hope now is that the red worms are doing there job and bringing whatever elements are missing, up into the SFG boxes. This is only my opinion, I have no experience with hydroponics or Mels Mix.

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

The only experience I have had with hydroponics was in eating the vegetables grown this way. There is a commercial hydroponics farm a few miles from us, and we get tomatoes, all kinds of lettuce (with roots still attached - I have actually planted them in potting soil and kept them growing), peppers, and I think they are growing eggplant now. I can tell you the flavor of the tomatoes, peppers and lettuces are excellent. Quite pricy, but worth it over grocery store "cardboard" tomatoes.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

I was playing with the idea of hydro, but it was very expensive and not that easy from what it looked like to me. Yes, you do have to focus on what each plant needs, etc., and it doesn't appear that you can do it organically as far as the nutrients because they only come in synthetic, right?

What got me on going for SFG is that it was easy to grow just about anything in the same squares and not worry about soil tests and the such being perfect. It seemed that you could plant just about anything in it, and it would grow. I like simple. Even though I used Mel's mix in my containers instead of an actual SFG bed yet, I have found that what I originally thought was true. I haven't had one weed, it's been insanely easy to grow just about everything I've tried to. I did start my seeds indoors and then replanted in the mix after they were several inches high.

I'm not sure this info was helpful to you at all, but I thought I'd throw my two cents in just in case it was... :-)

Blessings,
    Angela

• carolynp
    15 years ago

I looked into hydroponics, too, as my big goal was to feed my family year round. The problem is that hydroponics is SO costly and SO difficult, imho. SFG is far easier and it can be as costly or as cheap as you want it to be. If you are in most US zones, you could probably easily afford a greenhouse for what you'd pay for even a basic hydroponic set up and that would give you every advantage you'd get from it. If feeding your family is the goal, you might try reading "Four Season Harvest". Hydroponics seems more feasible to me for a large set up that is commercial. There are a number of big fans of it here in gardenweb, though. You might ask about there on how much it costs compared to this. Also, our local hydroponic store guy told me that SWC combines all the best parts of sfg and hydroponics.

• joannedisfan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for the advice. I did notice on Mel's site that he had tried hydroponics. I'm still trying to cost out a hydro system to see if it's even feasible. Right now I'm looking at about $800 to set up 9 4x4 boxes including mel's mix. I might be able to save a bit if I could find cheaper lumber. I had considered dropping to 100% compost but it would only save me about $100 and it wasn't worth the risk of messing up the system. Most hydroponic nutrients are actually organic and a fair number of organic farms are actually hydroponic. SO I'm still on my search for the right solution for my garden.

• m_lorne
    15 years ago

Can't really comment on the hydroponics, but regarding the comment "grow enough vegetables to feed my family of three", that is a pretty lofty goal. With only 144 square feet (9x4x4), that will supply maybe 25% of your annual vegetable needs. Now, if you are talking just about the summer season, then it's probably closer to 45%.

I know Mel says differently, but if you look at Jeavons' calculations, using French intensive he recommends at least 1,000 square feet per adult for one year.

Give it your best shot of course. I'm just trying to temper some of your expectations.

• mike_in_paradise
    15 years ago

Quote: I might be able to save a bit if I could find cheaper lumber

I have yet to pay full price for any of the bottom framing lumber in any of my square foot gardens. At our home depot they have the culled lumber typical $4.00 for 12 foot either 8,10,12 inch wide (all the same price). Usually monday afternoons is a good time as they have sorted out the lumber bins from the weekend and have the culled lumber pulled out. Now this is twisted, marked etc but I have had no problem using it in square foot boxes. Heck they are just going to rot out in 5-7 years anyways.

Many times it is sitting on a cart not priced and I have to go through the hassle of tracking down a manager and getting them to price it for me but it is well worth the effort.

This is home depot culled lumber I used to build 2 of these bridges:

Total cost including taxes $175.00 for the 2.
    {{gwi:1288502}}

One of the bridges..( I still have to install the second.)

{{gwi:106590}}

These frames are all culled home depot lumber Cost was less than $60 for all these frames.

{{gwi:1279664}}

I have also scrounged lots of lumber.

Go and check with your local lumber guys and ask what they do with the culled wood.

Also remember that a badly bowed 12 foot piece will often make very good 6 foot or 4 foot pieces.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Square Foot Garden History, Building ,Pics

Sponsored