o
Another alternative for raised beds.

Posted by Rain1950 W. WA z8 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 11, 05 at 13:54

http://www.noble.org/Press_Release/Lumber/Raised_Bed.htm

Definitely another recycled material.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another alternative for raised beds.

• Posted by Kris 8b DFW (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 12, 05 at 2:40

that's really quite cool. I love the idea, now if only HD had them pre-cut :)

o

• Posted by memo NE-Zone 4B (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 1, 06 at 19:26

This is an excellent link. And I think this is a very doable project even for me. And lord knows I have plenty of tires laying around here to use. Thanks for the info! I'm pumped now..heee!

MeMo

o

I'm all for recycling and cheaper ways to make raised beds. My only concern is chemicals leaching out from the tires. Would anything toxic leach out of the rubber?

Jenica

o

I have read up on the leaching issue and from the research I've read it does not leach. I certainly hope it doesn't seeing how I'm over half way finished cutting and installing these in the garden. I really like them so far. trudy

o

I've also read enough on tires to not be afraid of them in garden use, I just don't like how they look and the tire boards are seem like way too much work for me. I will probably use a few tires for potatoes this year, since I found some dumped (from years ago) in the woods that i've dug up and hauled close to the house.

o

They are initially a LOT of work, but think about the longevity of your work. Its the most perminant project that I've found so far for borders. I only have 4 more to go and I'm done. T

o

I just found this while searching for something else, and it's a great idea. Now if I can only convince the DH to show me how so I don't have to have him do it for me...

Here is a link that might be useful: Linky poo for tire boards

o
Like this one better

I saw the other alternative for raised beds there, and I like that one better: plastic mesh fencing (like you use for snow or wind breaks). Requires only a pair of scissors and a liner of some sort, and some stakes to weave through it.

I think I could probably find something like that on freecycle or CL if someone had one that was being thrown out. Yeppers, that would work!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here