Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raspberries in raised beds

Posted by luvidaho_2010 5/6 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 7, 10 at 14:13

Hi all,
I am pretty new to gardenweb and very new to raised bed gardening. I am not sure if this is the correct forum to post this but I figure SFG is the place to start. I am creating a raised bed garden area in my yard. The area is approximately 66'X 64'. All of that space won't be used for raised beds. I have used 2X12 lumber salvaged from the floor of our horse trailer to construct 2 3'X6' raised beds that I plan to put flowers in. Not sure I want to grow veggies in that bed after hauling cattle and horses in the trailer for years. I purchased more 2X12 18' boards from a community building material recycling store. I want to build a 4'X 16' raised bed for raspberries. I realize that I will have to drive stakes along the sides for support. I plan to dig down a bit to put in a weed barrier of some sort-maybe newspaper- to stop runners and put down chicken wire to discourage gophers.
Has anyone had experience growing raspberries in this type of bed? I read on a thread on GW that suggested growing raspberries in partial shade, I thought they needed full sun to do well.

I also plan to have a separate bed for strawberries that will be smaller. I have several livestock water tanks that are rusted so thought I would partially bury a couple in the ground and put rock around them to disguise them a bit. I enjoy looking at other gardeners ideas for recycling materials that otherwise would be discarded so please share your ideas, pictures are great! At the same recycle store I found large chimney liners that I am dying to use in the garden. Maybe grouped together at varying heights as planters, a water feature, or glue some stepping stones to them for a series of tables?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raspberries in raised beds

I would not bother with a raised bed for the raspberries unless you have poor drainage. Even temporary waterlogging can be bad news.
Optimally, raspberries should get full sun, and the rows should be planted North to South, so that they get they get the morning sun on one side, and the afternoon sun on the other. But half a day of sun is okay, and they should do well. But don't put them under a tree canopy, as the trees will compete with them for water, and there will be too much shade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here