Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeremyjs_gw

sealing raised bed

jeremyjs
15 years ago

I was wondering what everyone uses for sealer for the wood for their raised bed. I'm going to build a 2"x12"x16' raised bed garden and want as few potentially hazardous chemicals in close contact with my veggies as possible.

Comments (13)

• jeremyjs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

correction it will be 4' by 16' using the above mentioned lumber.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

jeremyjs - I think linseed oil would be great for you...welcome to the forum!

EG

• mike_in_paradise
    15 years ago

I agree with linseed oil.

I did some of the later beds with it and will be curious to see the difference in longevity. I thinned it for the first coat and then let it dry a day and then put on a full strength second coat.

Linseed oil takes quite awhile to dry at full strength so plan on leaving the beds for a few days before filling them with soil.

I have used it on some outside benches, one that has been outside for 10 years. and it turns the wood dark is still in good condition.

This one is about 10 years old and has been out about 4 winters.
    {{gwi:1279684}}

This one is ten years old and has been out for all 10 of them.

Both of these benches had light colored varnished wood when I bought them.

• carolynp
    15 years ago

I just used wood that was given to me by a friend, lol. No treatment because we get five to six months of constant rain. We tried that compacted wood stuff that is supposed to last forever on a walk in the back last year and it rotted from the inside out within eight months. Sure glad I didn't build the forthcoming deck out of it...

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

Mike,
    I think you stole my dog...

From Recently Updated
    From 01 Jan 08

I don't know if you'll see it from the pics, they're not the best, but mine sleeps just like yours. She's just a little paranoid about the camera, and I swear, she senses if you point it at her and looks up, or away, or wherever you don't want her to...

• mike_in_paradise
    15 years ago

Greenbean...

Have you checked your back yard?

The important question is does yours have a mustache!

{{gwi:1288527}}

Oh wait JD is boy!

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Ok, I wasn't going to post this, but... I think Mike went overboard on the linseed oil. You only apply it to the wood.

Painting his Golden Retriever was an accident. Hehe

Sorry but right next to the bench.

I agree a natural sealent is best.

• mike_in_paradise
    15 years ago

Quote: I think Mike went overboard on the linseed oil. You only apply it to the wood.

Painting his Golden Retriever was an accident.

Naw you are wrong!

He was a Bichon!

• jeremyjs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. Where do I get linseed oil? Will a hardware store have it and what would I use to thin it?

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

Hmmm, not a mustache like that one! A bit of a white beard going on...

Her "little brother" on the other hand, has something going on...well, see for yourself...

From misc

jeremyjs, I apologize for hijacking your thread. I'll stop now...

• mike_in_paradise
    15 years ago

You can buy Linseed oil in the Paint department of the home depot. I thin it with mineral spirits.

• jeremyjs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No problem. I appreciate the advise and the picture of everyone's dog and the banter is amusing. It's much better than no answer at all.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

jeremyjs - you're a good sport...i'm glad that we were able to help out a fellow member. Don't be a stranger!

EG

Here is a link that might be useful: EG's Garden Blog

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!