Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fastening the box

Posted by duhast 10 (SoCal) (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 8, 08 at 15:21

Mel talks about screwing them together. I used exterior drywall screws in pilot holes.

I've seen pix of people using L brackets, but these can get expensive and are really designed to be used on the inside of a joint, not the outside.

As I said, I used screws, but also these. Truss plates. Several sizes and shapes, and pretty cheap.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fastening the box

That's a really good idea!! Thanks!!

o

I was wondering where you were and how you were doing Duhast! How's your garden?

I've never heard of truss plates before, but I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled for them at Lowe's next time I'm there looking for stuff.

Blessings,
Angela

o

Yep, that'll work. I prefer the coated deck screws, though. There's no chance in them working loose later.
Duhast - are you building a second bed?

EG

o

I like to put a 2x4 support in the corners.

I did not do this in the first boxes but have used a 2x4 corner support in all the later ones.

I like to build the boxes on a flat floor in the cabin and I find the extra support is really noticeable when you move the boxes.

I use a hand cart to move the boxes as opposed to carrying them.

I have seen others put a 4x4 support in the corners.

I have used galvanized spiral Ardox nails and I have used coated deck screws for fastening.

But I do agree that it is a good workout to build and fill a box :)

o

[quote]Duhast - are you building a second bed?[/quote]

Yes I built a 4X4 wooden. I might be done schlepping cinder block.

o

duhast - Cool! You'll be able to really give some comparisons later.

EG

o

I used 4X4's in the corners all of my 4X8 and 4X12 boxes. I also ran an additional 2X4X4 at the 6 foot point between the rails for the 4X12 boxes to add a little additional support, which were also attached to the sides using 4X4's.

The boxes are all new this fall so I don't know how they will hold up, however they seem extremely sturdy at the outset!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here