Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_zn_5

tucking beds in...

dan_zn_5
13 years ago

Anyone tucking their beds in for winter?

Today, we mulched the leaves and put the chopped-up goodness on all the raised beds. All 3 kids helped. One would mow, the other two would fill the wheelbarrow and spread on the beds. The leaves were approx. 4-6" thick then covered with some beautiful MA straw (3-6" loose) to "tuck" the worms in for winter. Anyone else putting their beds to bed....?

Dan

Comment (1)

• eaglesgarden
    13 years ago

I still have some things going in parts of my garden - rutabaga, parsnips, some lettuce and beets. I am thinking of adding my mini-hoophouse over the top, to protect them from frost for a few more weeks. They aren't really growing much now (with so little light) but they can stay in the ground up to the point that the ground freezes. It's like having extra storage space. You can even mulch over the top and come back and harvest as needed, even during the coldest parts of the winter, as long as the ground under the mulch isn't frozen. BTW, this also leads to some of the sweetest root crops you can imagine. The plant will convert many of the starches to sugar to protect it from freezing, and the resulting taste is unlike that during the early spring with the exact same crops.

The rest of my garden does need to be "tucked in" as you call it, but I've been so busy recently, I haven't had a chance to do it yet. Maybe next weekend...maybe not.

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!