Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolynp_gw

garden blogging

carolynp
15 years ago

Hey, those of you who have blogs, how do you do that? Is there a cost involved for that?

Comments (20)

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Nope. I just went to http://blogspot.com and signed up (it's a Google owned site). The directions are pretty straightforward, pick a template and then play around with it. Kinda trial by error, but it took me maybe two days to really catch on and figure out how to do everything I wanted. There are other free sites, too...Cheryl is on wordpress.com and EG and John are on a Garden Journals one. I really like blogspot, and most of the garden blogs I read are on it.

Now get in gear and start blogging!!!!

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Forgot to add, I'm an email or an IM away if you decide on blogspot. If you get stuck, I'd be more than happy to help.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Yes, as granny stated, me and John have ours with The Garden Journals, and it is powered by Wordpress. Once a person has a site, it is a little tricky learning how to do everything....but soon you're blogging like crazy. I really enjoy it, and feel that it truly allows me to share my passion of gardening - whether anyone actually reads it or not! lol. Since installing a visitor counter about 3 weeks ago, I average around 200 hits per day. If you decide to start one, please remember to answer people's comments.....some don't choose to do this, but I always do....Good luck.

EG

Here is a link that might be useful: EG's blog

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Wow, 200 hits per day? I average about 40!

EG, I like blogspot because a person who comments can opt to be notified by email of follow up comments. So many times I leave comments, but don't remember where, so I don't know if they get answered or not.

Granny

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Granny - so far today, I have had 244 hits, and since installing the counter - have had 3100. I only have a few comments left, though. Apparently, there are alot of people that just have to see what kind of whacked out stuff the redneck goofball in Alabama has gotten himself into for the day! LOL
    Seems like the time has flown by...I really enjoy it.

EG

Here is a link that might be useful: EG's garden blog

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

I've only had 26 hits today, with 43 page views. I think the most hits I ever had in a day was around 150. I changed counters because half the time my other one didn't show up, so I don't have a graph for earlier hits.

I have just over 4000 hits since I put in a counter, which was probably three months ago. At the rate you're going, you'll have that many in 20 days!

Granny

• carolynp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yep, sounds like it's time for EG to start charging advertisers to me.

• carolynp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK. Here is my first try:
    http://spcastles.wordpress.com/

• carolynp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK medo, angela, you two are next!!

• peel
    15 years ago

I just started mine with Wordpress a few weeks ago, too. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: The Gumshoe Gardener

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i was going to, but ummmm......winter in ks is pretty dull!! LOL hey guess what??? i got my power cord fixed!!! WOOO HOOO!!! and guess who did it??? yep!! me!!!! that's who!! i spliced an old wired one to my power cord. and tadda!! its working like new!! YAY!!! :') ~Medo

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Did Medo play electrician today? Ooooh....i'd love to see you blog. That would be some interesting reading for sure! Ya gotta do it! I'll even help you name it....hee hee

EG

• carolynp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yep, second that, you'd be an awesome blogger medo. Winter in KS being dull is WHY you should blog, lol.
    I linked to your blog too, peel, lol.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

I've got both new bloggers linked! Loved them both.

Granny

• medontdo
    15 years ago

yes i did, ya know, i am just not afraid of electicity, even though i think i'm supposed to be. its kinda weird!! LOL the weird thing is, the only thing i'm afraid of, is probably not having fresh bread!!! LOL ya know, we gotta have that!! LOL maybe once i get the gh done, i will. then i'll have a reason to!! Hee Hee!! LOL there will be ton's of stuff in there!! as if there isn't tons of stuff in the back room right?? LOL
    well nana and papa came in this weekend. and got talla tinkerbell, but the goodnews is that highschool musical finally went back!!!! so no more watching that 2 times a day. if she could!! LOL oh ya, and sleeping beauty. she didn't get to watch that one tonight. as we know, tomarow is school. and we are supposed to be asleep now. blah blah blah. but i did get the hubs, yesterday he was teaching talla, and didn't finish. so i told him he could no longer tell me how to school my children. HA!!!! and then i got him on the sleep factor, because he is doing the cop thing while he should be sleeping. so i told him he could no longer tell me about my sleeping. now just leave me the heck alone!! i just get irritated when people get controlling over me, dangit i am the control freak!! **onrey grinn**
    when i do start blogging, i'll let ya know, so you can help me with the name. :') ~Medo

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Maybe you will after you get the GH done? Cool! That should be about 2 weeks from now....hmm...now for a name....

EG

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i was thinking, hey can we ot this? but then i noticed its carolyn, and she's just like all of us!! a big time talker!! Hee Hee!! LOL
    OMGoodness, i can't believe i am about to blog, that is just crazy!!
    tonight i cleaned out that backroom with tabors help, and transplanted some more plants, because soon i'm getting some more plants/cuttings from a great friend. i'll have to package together another one of seeds that she'll just love. LOL before i met her, i gave all my awesome seeds to a newbie i met that we just clicked right off the bat! she had just so much energy, and was so fresh it was amazing, and all she wanted was my angel trumpet seeds. so i sent her a bunch of seeds. occasionally i do that. to someone i meet and ya know, ya have that "connection" with.
    man, i'm glad i don't meet these people in real life!! and your probably saying Why?? because, then i'd get my heart broken, cuz they wouldn't be like that in real life, they'd probably only be nice to get what they wanted. i try to see things differently, but i don't see things in a dark grey sometimes. LOL did ya'll do your civic duty?? and "vote" so you can gripe about things if it didn't go your way?? LOL **onery grinn** i saw that on an add. funny. ~Medo

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

I voted! When the guy at the door gave me the little sticker on the way out, I just stuck it on my can of Red Seal chewing tobacco....lol

EG

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i stuck mine on my boob, where talla when i got home took it off and put it GOD knows where. we havent' been watching the polls, all day its been movies, ever get them emails, that are halariously funny, and ya wonder, hmmmmm is this ok to send?? LOL cuz most of my friends are either christian, or ya don't know them well enough to send them this. or they are guys and well, i'm a girl, ya know, orr rr ya don't know if they like to get emails?? LOL i get TONS of emails all the time. so EG there's one coming to ya, its downrite funny!! LOL and the great part, ya can't get me back!! LOL ~Medo

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Our county has mail-in ballots, so I voted three weeks prior to election day. What an exciting election this has been! I haven't been this enthusiastic since the Kennedys (I actually saw Bobby in person just a couple of days before he was assasinated). I don't think my TV has been off of CNN for the past three weeks.

Granny

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner