Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_houser

Moving the SFG

Melissa Houser
15 years ago

Well, it looks like I'll be moving my garden soon, lock, stock and barrel! I guess it's a good thing that I built literal raised beds and put them on feet. I'm hoping to be able to load them directly into the back of the truck and then put them where they belong at the new place. :)

Anyone ever done this? Any advice?

Comments (11)

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Can't say many folks built pool tables like you, but I've moved tables before. Of course the preferred method is to move them on their tops (upside down), so that won't work. When I saw this I figured it would be relatively easy to dig out the dirt from a ground-level bin, you could tip the dirt out of yours if you want. Otherwise, just tie a tarp over the top and tie it down.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

lissa - are you gonna empty the boxes first? If you'll give some more specifics (like - do you have a truck or trailer, how far are you moving it, things like that)we can move it no problem. I've moved all kinds of crazy stuff before, and with small equipment.

EG

• Melissa Houser
    Original Author
    15 years ago

EG and Sinfonian,

I'm moving about 10 blocks, we do have a truck and trailer, but don't have access to the back yard of the new place from the front of the house with equipment.

I hadn't planned on dumping my dirt out, but it's a possibility. I haven't planted a ton of stuff, mostly because I thought a move was coming. I'll have to ask the men of the house if dumping the dirt would be easier.

Since my prime gardening season is NOW, I would like to move them intact, though. Maybe I need to plant some starts so that they'll be ready to replant as soon as we move.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Ok...if you have access to some really large diameter pipe, you can take a few pieces that are longer than the box is wide, and roll each box across the property - even loaded with dirt. PVC will even work, if it's at least 3 to 4" diameter. If you need help with this, I can tell you how, or you can google something like "using pipe to move equipment". It's really easy, and you'd be surprised what can be moved like this.

p.s. - we've missed you. Welcome back.

EG

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

We just took some wood, lay it on its side and overlapped them to make a square and put some casters on the bottom. We used two of them to move some railroad ties this weekend. All we did was attach a rope to the front one and even I was able to pull the whole thing with my Bert and Ernie arms.

If you can at least pick up a corner of the box at a time you can slide one of these babies underneath and push it over to where you need it.

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Great ideas, everyone!

Lissa wrote, "Maybe I need to plant some starts so that they'll be ready to replant as soon as we move."

Oh, yes... if you have a few minutes not preparing boxes to move, I'd get those started! I hope the move goes well, and you're happily planted (yourself) and happily planting (your plants) in the new place soon.

Blessings,
    Angela

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

ribbit - that will work for some applications, especially relatively smooth surfaces. Some casters are pretty expensive, though. I'd have to think that the pieces of pipe would do the trick....

EG

• Melissa Houser
    Original Author
    15 years ago

EG, Thanks for the note on missing me. :) I feel so loved!

The opening to the new back yard isn't big enough to take the boxes through completely flat. We measured today. The pipe under it is a good idea, though. I'll suggest that, at least it will make it easier to move them across the back yard.

I'll be spoiled at the new place because I'll have a fenced area for my garden. I'm still going to put them on their legs, though...I hope.

I'm seriously thinking about putting chicken cages under the garden at the new place. Do something like the pictures someone showed from the carribean, where they grow collards above and chickens below.

Starts will get going tomorrow. :)

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

Don't get me wrong, EG, I mentioned the whole pipe sliding thing to the man when we were moving the ties. He said it was "soooo 3rd-4th century BC Egyptian" of me or something like that.

So, we went with the casters. They weren't expensive. :)

He asked me to go to the store to buy them so while he was gone, I took them off of his speaker cases.

Don't worry, I'll put them back. Eventually.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

ribbit - Ha! it's funny when you say "the man"...Tell hubs that primitive tools are still very reliable, and in some cases are the only alternative. Casters from a speaker cabinet? Those are too little...lol. I was talking about some real casters, that cost at least $50 a piece. :)

EG

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

Nope, not too little. They filled my hand. I'm talking professional PA equiptment speakers.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler