Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoes in Raised Beds - Mulch with Newspaper?

Posted by lois PA Zone 6 (roselady@ptd.net) on
Sun, Nov 14, 10 at 19:03

Hi there,

Has anyone had experience with putting a thick layer of newspaper around tomato plants in a raised bed garden and then putting mulch on top of the newspaper?

I need to have some kind of digging barrier in my gardens to discourage squirrels from planting black walnuts from the trees that grow on the hill nearby. This summer, I cut Xs in a length of leftover landscape fabric, planted the tomatoes in the Xs, and then added a thin layer of shredded bark mulch on top of the landscape fabric. The tomatoes did ok, but I'd like to not have to use more landscape fabric again next year.

So I thought I'd use newspaper instead. But will newspaper hold in too much moisture for the tomatoes? I know tomatoes don't like the soil to be too soggy.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoes in Raised Beds - Mulch with Newspaper?

I used newspaper with organic mulch three years ago in my sfg and they did just fine (and they looked lovely). I'm doing the tomatoes in swc's now, and our area is pretty mild, so I don't use any mulch on them now.

o

I'm not sure how much of a barrier newspaper would be to a squirrel.

As far as the second question, if you have not added mulch in the past, then you should end up water less frequently (but still deeply) with mulch of any kind. If you mulched in the past, then I would say that your watering practices should not change significantly, after all, the newspaper won't last too long until a layer of mulch. It will break down and be no different than using a compost as your mulch.

o

I've used newspaper around my tomatoes and covered it with mulch/pinestraw and it worked great.

o

I have not tried using newspaper as mulch, but I just read about it as a suggestion in Mother Earth magazine Feb 2011 issue and thought it sounded like a good idea. I imagine, as one poster mentioned here it would be similar to using compost to mulch.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Minneapolis Homestead

o

Hi, we tried our own version of lasagna gardening last year. We laid newspaper around our tomato and okra plants, threw on some homemade compost (no exact science at our house), and then dried grass clippings on top. We had tomatoes when our friends had none. Our okra did fantastic, but it was our first time growing it and I keep hearing it was a good year for okra anyway.
We haven't had a squirrel issue in our garden, so I don't know how that would work out for you.

o

I use newspaper and straw around most of my veggie plants. It has worked well for me. Newspapeer is easy to cut or tear into strips that fit easily around plants. Like others have said I don't know if it will keep squirrels out but you would most likely see where they have dug very easily.

Good gardening, Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here