Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brussel Sprouts spacing and time

Posted by appmy 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 26, 07 at 19:35

I had some success this year with my first SFG. I am already working on a plan for next year. My question today is about your experiences with brussel sprouts. I read on is forum that 1 per is the right spacing. Do they really fill out that large? What should I plant around them?

When should I start seeds, what type, and when should I transplant them.

I am new to brussel sprouts, but had them on Thanksgiving in a roasted form. I would like to grow my own.

Here is a link that might be useful: Follow my progress at my SFG blog

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brussel Sprouts spacing and time

Brussels are a long season crop. Check the listed days to maturity for the variety you want to grow. 90-150 days is typical with 90 being perfect conditions and an early variety. Never count on it. Always figure they will take longer as they often do.

Yes, they will fill a complete square. Many varieties in a good year will be very crowded when planted one to a square.

Typically I plant Brussels in the summer and harvest in the fall/early winter (I still have some in the garden and I am in Wisconsin). You can just direct seed them, no value in transplanting them since the summer soil is plenty warm.

The reason to summer plant and fall/winter harvest is that brussels produce sugars as antifreeze to protect against the cold. They don't do this until the cold temps set in. This makes them much sweeter.

Also, if you are getting toward the end of summer and you aren't seeing much in the way of sprouts forming, chop off the top of the plant. This focuses on sprout formation and ends vegetative growth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here