Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fanfortony

Is it Spring Yet?!!!

fanfortony
15 years ago

Hello All. I haven't posted in a while but I have been busy. I'm up and ready for SFG!!! My husband and I converted our really difficult triangular conventional garden into a brand new square foot garden complete with an 'Outhouse' shed. After calculating what I've grown in the past, and then comparing it to what is possible in my new and improved SFG, I'm guessing I've more than doubled my gardening power in the same space! How cool is that? In my new boxes I'll have 108 square feet to play in. I will also be converting a side garden that currently holds my first Fall garden into another 65 square feet. How many days until Spring? This is killing me. I want to plant and play NOW! This is going to be one really LONG winter. I finally figured out how to use Photobucket. I put a slide show together for those that might be interested in looking at the conversion. It wasn't easy putting a SQUARE foot garden into a TRIANGLE plot. Thanks again to all who post here for all the wonderful advice. I'm looking forward to being able to play in your reindeer games with pics and everything next year. Here's to a very quick winter.

Fanfortony

http://s446.photobucket.com/albums/qq185/fanfortony/?albumview=slideshow

Here is a link that might be useful: Fanfortony Photobucket

Comments (8)

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

I can see where building everything within a triangle would be a real pain. Pythagorean theorem is of no use in that situation.....I like the way you laid it out, and it is gonna be beautiful when the foliage growth is at it's peak. That was a great utilization of space!

EG

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

You are my hero! It's beautiful.

• carolynp
    15 years ago

Wow, it's really gorgeous! I think the shape gives it interest.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Love, love, LOVE it!!! Outhouse and mailbox are adorable. Hmmmm. I have a new mailbox in the garage that I don't use now that I have a PO box. And I'm always misplacing my garden gloves, pruners, scissors, etc.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• Yoshimi Dragon
    15 years ago

Now, Now, Now, eh?
    Well.... you could start winter sowing in January! :) And you're not too far north of me and aren't looking at freezing in the next couple weeks. What about dropping in some onions or some such?

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Take this time to read garden books like Four Season Harvest so you won't be pining over spring next year at this time!

Garden looks great. Good work!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

• medontdo
    15 years ago

ok, that looks totally awesome!! now i'm gonna have to tell my hubs that ya got all that done in ummm....how long?? LOL
    and yes, there are zone 7's winter sowing!! and OMGoodness the roots on them babies!! if you do this, you totally won't regret it!! now ya don't have to go totally nuts like "some" people, ummmm....i won't mention anyone's name (medo) but like others even who do 100's of containers over the winter. yes i said 100's. i did over 100 and most of them turned out great!! i had roots even better than walmarts or even the greenhouses when you go there and get your vege's or your flowers. mine when i got them out of their containers just after the last frost looked rootbound, and were strong!!! ok enough yammering about that!! LOL **big grinn** ok, i am soooo going for a quick fast winter!! LOL ps if ya do, you'll need any clear container or any container w/clear lid, or i used syran wrap stuff, and yarn to tie it on. i absolutely LOVE your stuff in the back yard!! and that shed!!! my gh still isn't up yet!! WOOOO HOOOO for sping!!! ~Medo

Here is a link that might be useful: winter sowing forum!!

• fanfortony
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for your comments. Your opinions and thoughts mean the world to me. It's been a great adventure so far. The boxes took a long weekend to build. The most time consuming was moving so much dirt around from corner to corner.The Outhouse was my bait to get my hubby motivated. It was his idea and I said he could do it AFTER he helped with the boxes and dirt. He couldn't wait to get started on his own pet project. The outhouse took about 2 weekends to complete. The inside walls still aren't finished but that can wait. we'll be installing peg board to hang all my garden tools. (Another incentive for my hubby...get all my $%$#@ out of his garage!)And yes...there really is a toilet seat in there. The base that it sits on has two doors for a cupboard. Or, I can just lift the lid and reach in from the top! My hubby is NUtS. Right now the two center boxes are set and filled and I've double mowed the leaves from my yard and given each box a nice cozy blanket. I do have garlic planted in about 6 squares already too.
    I am thinking about winter sowing. Never done that before. I wasn't sure what sort of vegies I could do. I was hoping that winter sowing would help me with my inability to start transplants. I don't have indoor growing lights and dont really have the space or desire. I tried starting brocc this summer for my fall garden but they got all leggy. I have a screened in porch that I thought would do fine. Worked well with my cabbages... just picked my very first one and had for dinner yesterday. Yeah. Ill be sure to check out the winter sowing site. Thanks again for the encouragement.