Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peel_gw

Preliminary Garden Layout

peel
15 years ago

Hi guys, when you have a few minutes, I've created a garden design for next year and I'd really love some feedback. Did I put things together that will cause an explosion or anything? :)

Here is a link that might be useful: The Gumshoe Gardener

Comments (20)

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Wow, looks really good! Assuming the graph is north up, then I only have comments, not complaints to speak of...

Stagering the tomatoes would give more light to the northern ones. And tomatoes get bushy so they like to be trellised, but there are some simple PVC trellises that would work there.

Lastly, I didn't check the companion planting sites, it takes a bit of time but can be useful.

Good luck and enjoy all that space. You'll put my garden to shame!

• peel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the SWCs aren't going where I have them on the graph. I just stuck them there to record what's going in them. I had one SWC this year and the plants grew to be 7' tall, so I know I'm at least going to have some success with those!

Don't yell at me....I know it would make the most sense to have North be on top, but it's actually South that's on top. I have to lay it out the way it is though because of the trees surrounding my yard. I've got the beds spaced far enough apart that the trellises won't shade the other beds though. I paid close attention to the way the sun hits my yard and this is really the only way to do it.

I doubt I'll be putting your garden to shame...you've got a great setup there. You were my inspiration for taking on this project!

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

I've grown alot of the same veggies that you're planning on growing, and also used the same spacings. The spacings look perfect, and will cause you no problems. The acorn squash with the pole beans concerns me a little bit, but if you can keep the squash vines away from the beans, you'll be fine. I would also prefer moving the small tomatoes in front of the larger ones. Lastly, if the boxes in the rear (with trellises) are 2x2, then you'll want to plant something in the front of the boxes on the right side. Those melon vines won't take up much space at all, if trained to grow up. Hope this helps, "eyepatch nun lady" hee hee

EG

• peel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I ran out of things to plant in those 2x2 boxes! I'm leaving them blank for now because I'm sure in December when I get my new seed catalogs something will catch my attention.

You're right about the tomatoes, EG, I didn't put them in any particular order, just listed out what I wanted to grow. But if you hadn't mentioned the placement I probably wouldn't have even thought about it when it came time to plant. Thanks!

• peel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, I forgot to add, the acorn squash is Mesa Queen which is described as a tidy semi-bush plant with a height of 18-24". Do you think I'll have a problem with vining?

• peel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Geez, that's just great! I've had no problems with my summer squash plants vining, I wonder if it was the wrong seed!? I had my winter squash trailing all over the place this year but I knew it was going to happen!

I think I'll take my chances, and if need be I'll direct them out to the left of the bed.

• garden4god
    15 years ago

ok a dumb question, i noticed that you have 4 onions to a square and also 4 lettuces to a square, couldn't i put 6-8 onions to a square? because i also am doing lots of onions, but they are going to be different kinds. i think i want to do one whole thing of nothing but onions/chives/them types of things. ~Medo

• peel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know that's what Mel's book recommends, but I've noticed people talking about spacing onion plantings further apart if you want the onions to fully develop large bulbs, and the lettuce seems like it would be too crowded. I think if you want to use the onion greens and not let the bulb develop you can fit a lot more into a square. That's my perception, anyway.

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Hmm, what concerns me looking at it upside down is that your trellises will shade everything. Frankly, even if you space them far enough apart, I'd reverse everything such that the trellises are to the north. Then you could set the beds closer and get more in later if you want. I hope I am not misunderstanding you. If so, ignore this.

Oh and I'm really glad my experience helped you decide to grow your own garden. That's the best compliment I could get! Thanks!

• peel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know, I know, but #1 if I switch it the trellises will block a window of my house and be really close to being under the eaves, and #2 the way my tree line is, the only way for the trellises to get enough sun is to have them where they are. I don't know if I can explain this so you can visualize it, but my neighborhood is on the side of a small mountain, and my house is built into the hill. The backyard slopes upward and the house behind me is a full story above mine. There are very mature trees all around the perimeter. The sun hits the yard evenly from overhead and it doesn't reach the yard in the beginning or the end of the day. So where the beds are they'll get even sun midday. Does that make any sense? I actually had container plants laid out this year with 7' tomato plants in line with where the trellis box will be and small pepper plants in line with where the other boxes will be. Nothing was shaded.

I'm pretty confident the trellises will not shade the other beds, BUT if you are right, I can always drop them back and have them angle downward. I'm pretty sure I won't have to do that though. :)

• carolynp
    15 years ago

I am SO impressed. It looks just awesome.

• peel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, thanks! This is what happens when I have a lull at work and try to stay off the internet. I get crazy with the Photoshop. :P

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

On the subject of onions, I always use the closer spacing with mine and pull every other one to use for green (spring) onions, while letting the others develop fully.

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• peel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's a great idea, Granny. I might just do that!

• Yoshimi Dragon
    15 years ago

Wow, what a plan. "Spaghetti Sq" -- awesome.

I'm a spring chicken as far as SFG goes, so I'll suggest cautiously... but I'm taking the plant spacings with a critical eye. I've always planted stuff too close together and always had more space between plants than I wanted, so I tend to distrust "recommended spacings". Still, since SFG implies shallower soil, I'm thinking a little bit of caution is in order, but one can usually thin plants if needed. So my policy this year is to glance at the spacings and then guesstimate so I end up halfway between "how many plants I really wanted to plant" and "how many plants the book says I can plant". I also assume that some of the plants will die or be spindly, so I can start out with a few more than I need. I'm also not planting in proper squares -- I have a square of radishes, a square of spinach, but I also have carrots planted on the edge of my legume square, lettuce on the vertex joining the broccoli raab, swiss chard, India mustard and broccoli squares -- the lettuce was large enough for a small harvest when I transplanted my other seedlings, so I figured I had time for it to grow before the other kids needed the space.

Having said that, I might not be able to get away with this during the summer when everything Needs Water and Space - but right now, I would lean toward granny's suggestion, especially if I were planted a lot of onion varieties! And I might slip spring onion species in between larger onions so I *knew* I would want to pull them out first.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

In my opinion, most of the spacing recommendations that Mel suggests are good, except for a few.....Corn would be the first to ignore, and tomatoes would be the second....Most people have a problem with his recommendations for broccoli, cabbage, and summer squash - but I love it. If you have seen my cabbage and broccoli pics lately, they are 1/sqft. I think the suggestion about onions that Granny made were spot on.....Granny is a wise one....

EG

• carolynp
    15 years ago

I agree: granny, that is brilliant!!

• peel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You're all brilliant! Such great ideas are formed here....

• shellva
    15 years ago

My zucchini plant took up half of a 4' X 8' box this past growing season. I only grew one plant. I don't know the variety off the top of my head. I plan on planting two in one box next year.

I might have been able to squeeze in a couple of "filler" type veggies at the corners but for the most part that one zucchini plant easily took up half the bed.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz