Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Converting a bed to "mel's mix"

Posted by shpigford 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 29, 13 at 21:16

I've got 7 raised beds (totaling ~900 sq/ft of surface area) that are largely just leaf compost. I've been working in some quality compost as I can and have worked in a little bit of peat moss and vermiculite, but nowhere near the ratio suggested in the Sq Foot Gardening book.

But now, all of my beds are pretty much filled to the top with soil (ie. not enough room to mix in a lot of peat moss + vermiculite).

So, should I take out a portion of the soil to make room for the peat moss + vermiculite (and just put that soil in my big compost pile to reuse down the road)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Converting a bed to "mel's mix"

Shovel your soil out and then read the ingrediants of many of the potting soils sold in the big box stores such as Home Depot, Menard's or Lowes, you will see that most of them are a decently close approximation of "Mel's Mix", except for the compost. One thing that I believe Mel missed, is that it's good to have some of your own soil mixed in with the mix...approx 15% by volume. Plant roots don't like to grow into one type of soil (Mel's Mix) and then another completly different type (your soil). Check with your Extension Service to verify this. So, for the 33% compost, use 15% your soil and the rest different types of compost.

o

For 900 square feet (450 cu ft @ 6") you need a "lot" of Mels Mix. Forget it on that scale and find a truckload(s) of manure. Or use Mels Mix and pay about $3-4K.

o

My first raised beds were last year, so I'm no expert yet on square foot gardening. I followed the instructions for Mel's mix as closely as I could, and my plants grew just fine. Better than fine, actually. That being said, I believe that you can have growing success in a wide variety of growing mediums, as long as the nutrients are there, and the soil handles water properly. I have a suspicion that what you have so far would be fine for this year. I'd go ahead and plant, and as the plants are harvested at the end of the growing season, there will be room for more of the ingredients to make the soil more like Mel's mix. Just my opinion.
Grant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here