Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
engineeredgarden

what to do with 20 heads of cabbage

engineeredgarden
15 years ago

You know...I planted 20 cabbage, and they are doing very well. I've just came to realize...what the crap am I gonna do with all that cabbage? Holy moly....I may have planted too much. hee hee. I plan on making sauerkraut with some of it, but have never made it before...lol. Has anyone in this forum made it before?

What are some other ways to preserve some of it?

Sure, we will use some of it fresh...by making slaw and boiling it too....but, there's got to be some other ways to preserve it for later use, right?

Oh brother....what have I done now...hee hee

EG

Comments (10)

• medontdo
    15 years ago

my goodness, i just read not to long ago about adding it in with tomato's and onions, and something else, i wasn't to worried about it because i didn't get it planted. LOL if you like cabbage rolls, you can can them, i know that they are fricken awesome!! at least the way grandma makes them. and they are soooooooooo fattening with sourcream. and i think it was some kind of relish that i was thinking of at first. ~Medo

• carolynp
    15 years ago

You can dehydrate it also. I have been told by a friend that it isn't so great for slaws rehydrated, but it's just fine in soups and chinese food.

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

Know any women who are trying to stop breastfeeding?

:)

I'm sorry, I had to say it. I tried not to, but I had to.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

EG, dig a pit that goes below the frost line. Bury your heads of cabbage and dig them out as needed. You will have to discard the outer leaves, but the rest of the head should be fine. This also works with carrots or any other root crops. Laying them in a trench and covering with bales of straw also works, just pull aside the bale to get to the root crops. Then you can compost the straw each spring. My grandmother always preserved her root crops this way, except for keeping a washtub full of dirt in the cold basement and burying her carrots in that.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• medontdo
    15 years ago

are you ribbit? just decrease everyday the amount of feedings by one or two, or i quit cold turky, and put ice packs, then just dealt with the little stinker. LOL but mine was a pacifier. i finally found out. duhhhhh get a clue medo. she was/is my last. BWAAAAAAHHHHH!!!! now she has babies all the time and has tabor deliver them, its so cute, and she breast feeds them, its just cute, and when her "boyfriend" is over, he doesn't know he is yet, but i think once she told him he was her boyfriend. LOL (that's my girl) LOL she was breastfeeding her baby. even outside she does, thank goodness we live in a small town. :')

ya know granny, suni does something with her cabbage like that, but its something koreans do to make kimshe. ~Medo

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ribbit - what the? cabbage and breastfeeding....I don't get it...lol

Granny - I may have to try that....hmm..

Carolyn - I don't have a food dehydrator, but we got a few cabbage eaters around the house.

Medo - Umm...yeah...i'm not ribbit, i'm EG.....well, that's the way it sounded...I know, I know....

EG

• deadat40
    15 years ago

Kimchi

• carolynp
    15 years ago

EG: Alton Brown just uses a box fan and a couple of filters. I can't speak to this method as I haven't tried it. I think my area in PNW might be too humid for it.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/dried-fruit-recipe/index.html

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

HA! No, Medo, I'm not, but I've used it twice before.

EG, it's an old wife's tale that if you use leaves of cabbage you can help with the pain of engorgement. I don't know if it was the cabbage itself or just how cold it was from the fridge, but it sure helped.

Like I said, sorry for the image, but the oportunity was too good to pass up.

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ribbit - UM...did you have to say engorgement? Oh god...that's even more disturbing. Thanks for the visual on that. hee hee

carolyn - i'll have to research the Alton Brown thing...thanks!

EG

Sponsored