Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
engineeredgarden

who all still has a fall crop?

engineeredgarden
15 years ago

I was just wondering if there were some more people in this forum that still had a fall crop growing.....I know sinfonian does, and ribbit....who else?

EG feeling kinda lonely with fall crop.......I'm getting tired of looking at mine all the time. I wanna see some others.

EG

Comments (64)

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

OK, here are the pictures I took this afternoon of the fall crops. Some are in pots and some are in the SFG. We had to harvest the broccoli in the pots out front today b/c the heads were getting loose and you could just see the flowers wanting to bloom. They were small, but the man and the boy swear they were good. I guess I'll get to try some when we harvest the other heads. I never had a chance at a bite of these two, so I know they must have been good!
    Broccoli out front:

The SFG

I'll put some pictures of the journal I found on the "how do you plan your garden" post.

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Granny - 4 squares? That's alot of lettuce! That would be awesome if you could get those cucs to grow in AZ. Maybe some shade will work?

ribbit - nice pictures! Your broccoli is farther along than mine, and our collards are about the same. Thanks for sharing!

EG

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

Sorry, EG, those scrawny things back there aren't collards. They're supposed to be brussles. Not the tree trunk like thing I was hoping for.

It's still curious to me that the broccoli in pots with more root space is fully mature while the ones in the SFG with less root space are stunted and have barely begun to head. It's the only variable I can think of that would affect the different rate of growth.

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh....They looked like collards to me.....

EG

• medontdo
    15 years ago

if i wasn't peeling pears all dang day, i woulda read this and went out and took pics!! LOL yes, i still have this wierd stuff growing, if we get back befor it gets dark tomarow
    i'll go out and take pics of the stuff i still have growing, and the tomato plants that have little flowers on them!!! WOOO HOOO!!! LOL i have 3, thingi's FILLED to the brim, lets see, the big crock pot, the bigger of the pot/pan set, and the bigger of the bowl, which is the same size of the other two. the pears have apples mixed in, i didn't have all of the stuff yours called for, so i used the recipe for the applebutter. i had to do this today, i didn't know if i'd have the energy to do this tomarow. i feel a low day coming on. errrrrr!!! mainly because of the clouds out there!!!! ~Medo

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The little peelers I have make it so much easier.....weird stuff growing? Like...micropterus salmoides or something? hee hee

EG

• bettyinga
    15 years ago

Ribbit: That broccoli looks great to me!

EG: Thanks for the offer - I 'll keep looking - someone has to have it here. I can order it online but I just don't understand why it is not in the stores here.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

LOL now what was that peeler thingi and how much was it? i totally want one!! i told hubs my fingers are absolutely sore!! and the son of mine is no use!! he just irritates me, i have to get one of those things (peelers) for joy (hubs mom) she's got arthritic fingers and can't peel anymore, so it makes it hard for her. she so deserves one. i want to get a good one. AND my friend, mr shumate. has a cool dehydrater. i guess it has a thing on it where it has temp control? so you can change the temp. and drawers, and it automatically turns off. AND if the electricity gets interupted for some reason, then when it gets back on, then it will pick right back up where it got left off at. although i forgot to ask him what kind it was. apparently it's the cat's a**!! LOL of course you do know that i want that too!! Hee Hee!! now all i need is the canning tongs and i'm sooooo good to go! Hee Hee!! i'm not nuts anymoer!! LOL ~Medo

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here ya go, Medo....

EG

Here is a link that might be useful: peeler

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Cool, EG. I think I want one of those! If you scrub the potatoes really well before peeling them, I think those strips of peel would taste delicious deep fried! Kind of like curly spuds.

I decided to transplant the lettuce that I'd started in the dishpan to a big plastic pot today. I got it all done, lifted the pot...it broke in half and all the soil and plants came out and landed on the pavement. Ruined the plants :-( So I scooped it all up and put it in a long planter, and I'm going to put in some beets and spinach.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: a

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Granny - they probably would be good cooked that way. When I bought my 2 peelers, they were $10.99 each at KMart, but that was like 15 years ago......Plants ruined, huh? Probably should of put HM in there, instead of HS! stinker.......i've got my eye on you........hee hee

EG

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

No, it had CS in it, not HS. Can't buy the HS by the bag at the store.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• bettyinga
    15 years ago

EG, I went to Lowe's today and they carry a few Green Light products but none had BT in them. I did purchase a vegetable spray from them that kills just about everything except cabbage loopers so I will try that. I have emailed the company to see if they can tell me where to find their product. Their online store is being reorganized so it's not available at this time. I'm sure I will find it by Spring --all the garden centers around me have transformed into Christmas so the gardening supplies are next to impossible to locate!

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Betty - if there is an old country seed and feed store close to you, I guarantee they'll have it.

EG

• mike_in_paradise
    15 years ago

Here is what was left before I started today. I had not been out to the garden in about 12 days.

Pulled out the carrots, potato bin and the turnips.

Left still in this garden is Rainbow Swiss Chard, Endive, some onion that are doing nothing and some small garlic.

I still have about 10 squares of carrots in another garden that I am going to leave for a few more weeks.

I posted the carrots and potato bin unveiling in my garden progress post..

Here is a link that might be useful: My Square Foot Garden History, Building ,Pics and Progress PART 4

• carolynp
    15 years ago

And EG, don't forget she puts BS in there, too...

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah.....Kmart...400 oak street....in Cincinatti....yeah. They probably have it in bags...See how granny gets me all messed up? lol

Mike - I saw your pictures....that wasn't too bad on the potatoes. Mine will be next, I really don't know what to expect. Nice carrots, by the way.....

EG

• medontdo
    15 years ago

ok, i'll have to go look for some of them. i know i'll not get them for that price, but hey!! LOL
    this is sooooo funny!!
    my final proof my hubs is a dogg!! LOL i'm folding the socks, tossing them onto the other couch, which means that i have to toss it across him. LOL now every time i do this he turns his head and follows the sock, so i'm just busting up laughing, so he asks what i'm laughing about? i tell him, and he say's, well i do have perephial vision ya know, LOL so i say so do i, and finish doing some more of the socks, and same thing happens, so i tell him the only thing he's missing is the wagging of the tail and the tongue hanging out. LOL and i'm sooooo busting up by now, he says i'm just wrong or something like that, but is laughing, so i tell him that its one of those things as dorky as i am, i just love about him!! and it just tickles me. Hee Hee those weird things is what makes me laugh so much!! LOL
    we got back so late that i didn't get any pics!! so i'll get them tomarow, i promise!! LOL i'm not going anywhere, i hope to go to osage, but that's not that far, although i know he'll tell me NO!! but i want some canning tongs!! i'm a wimp and i have none!! BWAAAAAAAHHHH!!!! **big grinn** ~Medo

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Medo, when I did my bit of canning I couldn't find my canning tongs. Mr. H found me a huge...I mean HUGE...pliers! It worked great, but I still want to find my jar lifter.

Granny

• bettyinga
    15 years ago

FINALLY FOUND IT - after several phone calls I finally found a store tht carries BT. It is made by a different company other by Green Light but they carry the liquid and the powder. I will pick it up tomorrow! Yea! I hope I can save the cabbage and broccoli. Should I cut off the stripped leaves or just leave them on? They look like skeleton plants - kinda pretty though!

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Yep, EG, I planted summer stuff in the fall. This was my first garden ever, and I felt like I could conquer the world! I do have to say that the summer stuff is the stuff that isn't producing good, though. I guess they don't like the cool nights or something. The squash are all winter varieties (at least I think so).

Granny, I am so glad you get to garden in Arizona! I knew you couldn't stay away from it until left there.

Everyone, thanks for the responses on the thread. It sure is great to feel like you're sharing in learning and gardening with other fallbies... LOL

Ribbit, thanks so much for sharing the pics! I've never seen broccoli growing before, so that's neat. About the flower, I'm guessing that you don't want the broccoli to flower? I've never grown it before, so I really don't know the first thing. I planted some, but only like two seeds, and neither came up. :-(

Mike, thanks for sharing your potato experience. I can't wait to create my own box now!

As for the HS, CS, HM, CM, and all the other initials that make we want to have a BM......... Well, let's just say I'm joining John on the back porch... hahahaha (couldn't help that one... too funny).... You guys are a riot!!!

Blessings,
    Angela

• susancol
    15 years ago

Betty,

I'm not sure where in Georgia you are, but if you're near the Atlanta metro area, Pike Nurseries all carry BT.

I still have a fall garden going. I have lettuce, collards, cabbage, english peas, bok choy, beets, broccoli, radishes, carrots, turnips, and rutabega. Some things doing better than others.

Still left from the summer garden, I have what's left of pole limas - they didn't handle our frost too well, and a couple of small eggplant and many green tomatoes. Plus some herbs - thyme, parsley, rosemary, and oregano.

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Betty - good! Now you can show those worms who's boss in your garden! I would go with the liquid, because it will get down between the different plant parts easier. If a stem was "nekkid", i'd pull the stem. My reason is because that's just more surface area for the plant to hafta put it's energy into, and the leaf won't grow back.....

Angela - I planted only one summer variety for this fall season, and that's why my cows ain't got any peas now....everything else is doing great,though.

susancol - you've still got quite a bit of stuff out there growing....i'm impressed.

Gee....I don't feel as lonely now! Thanks, everybody!

EG

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

I planted something today!

Went to a yard sale next door and bought some pots. Planted one full of spinach and another with beets. I still have two large ones that have to get filled with soil, so they will have to wait until the next trip to town. I want to put buttercrunch lettuce in one and maybe carrots or more spinach in the other. I really think I should plant something around the edges of the cucumber pot, as I'm sure those will freeze before they bear a crop.

Not a sfg, but a container garden. I 'm not stepping foot outside this forum though....so just learn to put up with me!

Granny

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Betty - I'm gonna post about BT on my blog tonight for you and my friend Kate....just wanted to let you know. I worked real hard on it. I hope you like it!

Granny - well good for you! Buttercrunch lettuce is my favorite, and as a matter of fact - i'm eating me a big ol' redneck bowl of it this weekend! Also, I understand about not wanting to venture outside this particular forum. It's pretty harsh out there...have you been to the compost forum lately? Whew! Talk about harsh.....

EG

• medontdo
    15 years ago

no, EG, they are NOT the harsh ones, go to the rose forum. man, them people have a "character" of their own, although there was one person who did be nice to me and talk a little to me, LOL i think mostly because he got a kick out of my way of propogation. LOL but unless you are one of them who have name brand roses, and are special, sorry, but your no good. and if you do get a response its rude. i've been ta two separate forums like that, and the green one is 1/2 as bad.. there is one guy who is just fricken nuts. i think mostly because he liked everyones attention. but they can be harsh at times if your not a going gree/composter person. hmmmm i don't remember which one now come to think of it. LOL
    ya, have ya met blu?? he say's it like it is and more eh??!! LOL

• medontdo
    15 years ago

thank you EG for the link for the potato peeler!! i didn't see that earlier. DUHHHH!! LOL i checked it out, hasn't went up to much :') ~Medo

• bettyinga
    15 years ago

Susancol - There is a Pike's about 15 miles away so I will check with them to see if they carry the Green Light brand. Thanks for the help!

EG - I loved the post on your blog - thanks for doing the research. I will trim up my plants tomorrow so they can get to growing!

To All: I love this group - ya'll are so helpful. I value your friendship and your gardening knowledge!

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Medo - are you talking about blutranes? I've never been over to the rose forum. You're welcome on the link....now, go get one! You'll love it.

Betty - i'm glad you liked it. The link to the cornell study was very informative, and I just had to share it. Also, this group is fortunate to have people like you in it. Together, we will all become better at growing stuff!

EG

• medontdo
    15 years ago

ya know, we are so lucky to have each other, its funny how when we get people in our group, who are so nice, we just keep them!! LOL i love all of our friendships here too!! notice our youngin keeps coming back!! (angela) **big smile** ever feel REALLY old?? i do today. i think talla caught the flu, so there is puke all over the livingroom by the small couch. YUCK!! and of course, hubs cannot be around anyone cuz of the radiation, so everyone has to stay away from him. and his cup has to be put up and everything has to be just so, so its like cleaning up after a radioactive puke factory!! LOL and this girl does not stay covered up and refuses to wear any pajama's!! LOL
    she's a very stubborn girl!!
    yes, what you think about that blutranes? and i do plan on buying Joy and i one of those things. so she don't have to keep cutting her fingers. :')

• carolynp
    15 years ago

I really like our group, too. I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised by the seed exchange folks. They're pretty nice. The hydroponic group is pretty awful, though.
    Betty, you blend...

• Yoshimi Dragon
    15 years ago

Woohoo, I'm jumping on the BT bandwagon! I decided to take today "easy" and did a little bit of gardening before catching up on sleep. And if I get to it tonight, I'll dig up my newbie post and add more SFG pictures -- planted some san perigrino bottles today, haha.
    Anywhooo, my broccoli plants have polka-dot leaves due to the loopers (little green worms? I actually think that some kind of moth lays the eggs but whatever) and I finally called my local seed-n-supply store to see if they had Thuricide. And they did! So I walked over before my long afternoon nap and picked some up, along with some diatomaceous earth. Sometime this weekend, I'll load up the BT and cover the garden.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

and then try the winter sown forum, they are just as great!! and have some the really great info!! the gh forum can be really nice to, although i haven't been there in a while. LOL

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Granny - I'm with you and everyone else here. Okay, I have to admit... *clears throat and talks quietly so only a few of her closest online buddies can hear*... I kind of don't actually have a SFG yet. I have a few (approx. 1 square foot across the top) containers planted like a SFG. Does that count?

Medo - I'm the young one? HA! I wasn't sure you were talking about this Angela even though you said my name! hahaha And, maybe I used to be the young 'un but now we have some in their 20's around here... at least it seems some of our new ones are younger than me....

Oh, and EG, can you correct the title of this post to reflect that it's also an OT discussion... or someone please save the thread and bring it back to fall crops... ;-) (I know that none of us can help ourselves, though, can we? Give us an inch, and we'll take a mile!)

Blessings,
    Angela

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Medo - I like several people at different forums, because some have an excellent sense of humor! They make me laugh...

Angela - I can't stop a runaway train...sorry!

EG

• medontdo
    15 years ago

ohhh me too!! i sure do like them!! LOL but i have to say, withought a doubt, i think this is my favorite one!! LOL
    crazy people, crazy stories, and crazy ideas!! LOL can't beat that!! LOL
    that girl is still sick and the boy is staying with his grandma, doing his work still, i guess her pschyiotic nerve is really acting up bad so he is helping her out alot. which is really helping me out, because talla being sick, tabor freaks when she pukes, i don't know why?? LOL
    i think my malabar did finally die, either that or i cannot remember where i planted it in the house. i am going to plant some more though and see how it grows. in some new soil. :') and also some lettuce, i still have all of my tomato's growing, and my passi's. ~Medo

• carolynp
    15 years ago

I just re-read my earlier post. Betty, I meant you blend with us, lol.

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I wanted to let everyone know that pics of my current fall garden will be posted tomorrow on my blog. Probably mid-morning - around 10 am cst. There's some great pics on there! Woo Hoo! I can't wait! Here's the link, if anyone needs it...

EG

Here is a link that might be useful: EG's Garden Blog

• bettyinga
    15 years ago

Thanks Carolyn!

Eg - your photos are really awesome! I hope to have a smaller version of your garden in the Spring --especially now that I have lots of BT on hand!

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cool, Betty! BT is an absolute must for the fall crops. I'm planning on using it for my tomato plants also!

EG

• medontdo
    15 years ago

ok EG Pics as promised, only a week late, now there are a few that are "ummmmm" unkown to mee at the moment!! LOL one is by the log and it kinda reminds me of a raspberry bush or something, it is kinda prickly.

{{gwi:1289202}}

{{gwi:1289204}}

{{gwi:1289205}}

{{gwi:1289207}}

{{gwi:1289209}}

{{gwi:1289211}}

{{gwi:1289214}}

{{gwi:1289215}}

{{gwi:1289216}}

{{gwi:1289218}}

{{gwi:1289226}}

{{gwi:1289227}}

see all of my asparagus?? LOL
    and Carolyn is very very tricky indeed!! LOL

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey! Lookie there...you sure do! Is that collards in that one pic? I can't tell...the pictures are pretty small. Way to go, Medo!

EG

• medontdo
    15 years ago

yes, they are some kind of collards, in the first one's? but if its after the onion, then its either somekind of chard and i think beets. the first one i took, i have absolutely no idea what it is, i suspect it is the same as the 2nd pic.
    which pic and i'll see if i can resize ;')~Medo

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was referring to the 3rd pic....They kinda look like collards to me.

EG

• aligishere
    15 years ago

Down here in Florida, I've still got a lot!
    My red okra is STILL producing (I planted it back in June) with no signs of slowing down. I've got collards and lettuce. Sweet potatoes and broccoli aren't ready for harvest yet. No heads at all on the broccoli.... PATIENCE! Tomato plants are still there from this summer. I cut back the ugly old growth and left only the new growth that I could fit nicely into the tomato cages.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

that was broccoli. now next year, i'm gonna have a whole thing of collards!! LOL or a half a thing of spinach and the other half of collards. i love greens alot!! so i'm gonna have so many of them, the kiddo's are gonna have to get used to that, now talla's a real vege eater, and if its a root one, i cut it in a chip style and tell her some story about the french or some other place or the fairies eat these like chips, she's all over them!! ummmmmm......the only thing i haven't figured out, is errrr.....when she's older and she goes to uhh france, and tries to order turnip chips, LOL **giggle** now the spinach and such, i know we'll keep it frozen!! we love quiche (spinach w/ bacon) but i make them in those little muffin cups and freeze them. ~Medo

• deadat40
    15 years ago

Here's a link to some pics that I took this morning. I guess that I'm just lucky to live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.

http://picasaweb.google.com/DeadAt40/SquareFootGarden#

Here is a link that might be useful: Square Foot Garden Web Album

• medontdo
    15 years ago

now that all looks just great!! IN NOV!!! my goodness!!

• west_texas_peg
    15 years ago

I have 2 types of radish, blackeyed peas, various tomatoes, Purple Hawaiian Sweet Potatoes, various varieties of onions, various mints, various peppers, various basils, chard, pomgranates, carrots, lettuce, and English peas. The cucumbers and melons are all gone : (

Have had several freeze scares and I cover things...so far no freeze. Hoping it holds off until the tomatoes are ripe...one is a white one so I would like for it to ripen on the vine.

Planning to harvest mint and make Mint Syrup tomorrow; hubby;s diabetic so some will be made with Splenda.

Peggy

• medontdo
    15 years ago

ohhhh i would love a recipe for splenda syrup!! i cant eat the other syrup, or i feel like stuff is running thru my veigns. my hubs thinks i am so weird!! LOL i told him it feels like ants, so i check my blood, it goes way up, but it does come down in the time, :') do you bring your mint in for the winter? ~Medo