Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
using vermiculite

Posted by Biglou1 none (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 6, 11 at 22:29

Even Mel says that vermiculite is gods gift to soil ammendment. but have you seen the price of this stuff? well here is the solution, visit your local swimming pool supply you can buy a giant bag of the stuff for about 15.00. They use it as fill when they install in ground pools. I not only mix it with my soil but i also use it to cover my newly planted seedlings both in the greenhouse and in the garden (It makes it so much easier for those little guys to push through once they germinate.but be careful at first as it is very fine and lite and if the wind ias blowing don't attempt to apply it without safety glasses. After application you should initialy water it with a spray bottle.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: using vermiculite

What brand is it? There is an spa sstudy showing substantial levels of asbestos in some.industrial brqnds and they also tested its ability to become qirborne.

o

Mindyw3 can you please provide a link to the spa study you referenced?

o

Still waiting for a reply, Mindyw3. I've searched everywhere.

o

Try Google. It's not that difficult. Search: spa gardening asbestos vermiculite. I'm on a phone so its a pIn in the away to post a link. It should be the first or second page in the list if you setarch all those terms together.

o

Spa equals EPA. My phone keeps changing it.

o

There was a problem with vermiculite several years ago. The WR Grace company was mining vermiculite in Montana in a place where asbestos was present. Vermiculite ended up having some asbestos in it. The stuff was processed in Santa Ana, where I live. The vermiculite I see in stores now says "asbestos free" on the bag. Not all vermiculite has asbestos in it, just the vermiculite from that particular mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: What's Growing On?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here