Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenbean08_gw

Presprouting seeds

greenbean08_gw
15 years ago

EG's post about his new seedlings leads me to ask...

Do you pre-sprout most of your seeds? If so, what works best for you. What are the benefits of pre-sprouting?

I have always direct sown seeds, or purchased plants. Next year, I'm going to start some seeds indoors. I am also going to wintersow some, but I'm thinking those will be mostly flowers. Soooo, would it be a good idea to pre-sprout? What about for seeds I'm putting straight outside? Do any of you wintersow veggie seeds?

I found the FAQ somewhere on GW that shows the plastic baggie method, either with paper towels or coffee filters. What method has worked best for you?

Thanks!!

Comments (16)

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

I presprout seeds that have difficulty germinating outside via direct sow. I too will winter sow this year, so I don't expect to presprout anything in spring. I'll have to think on that.

Mostly last season I presprouted corn, beans and cukes, all to plant them early before the soil had warmed sufficiently to germinate. Well, I continued to use my damp coffee filters in open ziplock bags for my corn and beans all season for my succession plantings.

Hope that helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Several varieties that I direct sow are : peas, carrots, squash, melons, okra, corn, and turnip greens. Everything else is germinated indoors.

EG

• soonergrandmom
    15 years ago

Last spring I started my sugar snap peas inside in paper cups for the first time. I plan to do this in the future. After they went in the garden, they didn't grow much for awhile, but I also didn't have to go back and fill in where the birds and squirrels normally get the seed. I had a light set-up for a lot of other things so it wasn't any more trouble.

• greenbean08_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Has anyone tried fluid seeding? I found this last night on a thread from the Rocky Mtn Gardening forum that popped up on my search this time. I'm going to ask about it over at RMG too... I think it looks intriguing, although I don't know that I'd dare let the seedings get as big as they did in the photo...

Here is a link that might be useful: Fluid Seeding

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

I would rather direct sow if possible, because the transplants kinda go dormant for a few days, once planted into the garden. That's been my experience, anyway...

EG

• mike_in_paradise
    15 years ago

Here lots of stuff has to be started in doors. Now when you say pre-sprouting I take to mean germinating the seed before putting it in soil versus starting the seed in starter tray in a growing medium.

My biggest problem is hardening off plants due to our winds and erratic sun and cold.

One other thing that I thinks helps plants started under the grow lights is a an oscillating fan. This forces the seedings to develop stronger roots and they are better when hardening off the transplants.

• carolynp
    15 years ago

I can't direct sow tomatoes if I intend to get any ripe. Our season out here is actually pretty short. Keep in mind that last year is my first year trying this, but I think I will preplant some of the spring garden in largish planters. From what I've read, transplanting knocks plants back a couple weeks in development. So, I have to plant them in large enough pots to make sure I only transplant once. I have to be really careful with what I put in the garden during the spring. We get snow right up to May and intermittent freezes from January to May. So, my plan is to start a few cabbages and peas indoors this year in 6" pots and then transplant in February. Many friends who work at our local extension have assured me that this won't work, but I'm going to try it anyway. Seeds are cheap. Don't you break parts of the seedlings off when you move them from paper towel to dirt? I feel like I'm too clutzy to do it that way.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Carolyn - they don't break at all, when transferring from paper towel to dirt. Like you, i'm actually gonna transplant my current seedlings into the garden about 2 weeks early, but have to try - if I want to harvest before the other stuff goes in later. It's worth a shot, at least.

EG

• carolynp
    15 years ago

I totally agree eg. What would happen for us, is that if we put the spring stuff out after fear of frost, that would be the beginning of May. Apparently, many of these things stop producing at 70 degrees consistent, for us, that would be June, rofl. If I'm going to get a spring crop, I feel I have to play the borders a bit.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

I agree, carolyn. I guess i'm just a rebel gardener, always going outside the lines a bit. Oh well, as far as I see it - the weather might be all weird again during that time of year, and you and I turn out to be right on track with our plantings.

EG

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Carolyn, I wouldn't recommend direct sowing tomatoes for anyone with our climate. No way. Now starting from seed indoors is a different story. For some reason tomatoes benefit from transplanting a couple of times before they go outside. I wish I had a light setup to start stuff early. Would be nice.

• carolynp
    15 years ago

Hey Sinf, has anyone told you we're having a pineapple belt? I'm not sure what it is, but I've heard it means it's a bit hotter and could affect water in our area.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i started some of these vigna carella or something like that inside, in paper towels, and it was my first time, they didn't break or anything, i put it under the heater (mine comes out of the ceiling) well the heat came down' on the baggie, and it made the seeds germinate great!! i think i will keep to that method,, when i transferred it to their soil, it didn't suffer any damage any,, and it didn't sag any like they usually do, but i also covered them with a baggie and made sure to leave it that way. i will for a while. ~Medo

• greenbean08_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the replies!!

I was considering pre-sprouting for 2 reasons. One, to get a jump on the spring planting time. I'm going to use clear plastic on the hoops to warm the soil, and I'm thinking pre-sprouting might help me start it all earlier. I also plan to start some seeds indoors under lights. I may try presprouting just for the sake of space.

Right now, I'm thinking I'll wintersow perennial seeds. I'm not sure about veggie seeds yet...

So, another question for you indoor starters and wintersowers... What do you use for your seed starting medium? Is it something you can let the plants grow in for a while, or do they need to be transplanted? If you wintersow, how big do you let the seedlings get before you put them out?

Thanks!

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Carolyn, I call it an Indian Summer and my brother predicted it way back when. But yeah, it's been warmer than normal. Don't worry about our water, the fall and winter storms will take care of that.

Greenbean, I use mel's mix mixed with Miraclegro potting soil for my indoor medium. Good luck.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i use stay green. i get it at lowes, 3 cu ft for 10.97 and there is no sticks, rocks or any other things in there, its like you put the soil in your food processor and let it go on high for a while and fluffed it all up!! i love this stuff!! in fact any of the stay green soil is great!! hubs brought me home the one for tree's, LOL funny, cuz it was for my banana tree, and i don't know how he does it, but he always gets the right stuff!! the particles in the tree and shrub was just the right size also!! smells great!!. ~Medo

Sponsored