Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wordwiz_gw

My 2010 garden (a project)

wordwiz
14 years ago

Cross-posted in Kitchen Gardens

This is a dream come true - the county fair (In Cincinnati, a very urban area) is going to allow me to grow veggies in raised beds as part of their "Farmer for a Week" theme. I doubt I'll have much over 100 linear feet (4-5 ft. wide) but I only need a row of each type except for corn. The idea is to try to have 30-40 different types of veggies/herbs growing. A friend suggested I also do some container growing which gave me a thought - why not grow some root veggies in clear containers (keep the sides covered until the fair) so people can see what potatoes, beets, carrots, etc. look like when they are growing.

I have the types of veggies to grow (almost all of them except crops that take more than a year to have something to harvest), but do you have any suggestions on really "showy" varieties?

The criteria is I need to be able to buy or get the seeds and they have to take 90 days or less or less to fully mature from transplant. Frost Free Day is about May 15 and the Fair will be about August 15.

Mike

Comments (3)

• keski
    14 years ago

Rainbow Swiss Chard has really colorful stems. Start early and transplant the most colorful varieties into the garden. Potato plants are very nice and some varieties grow in about 6 inches of soil. Curly Kale is pretty and can be started early,too, so it would be nice by Aug 15. I also did some Alpine strawberries, which had nice looking plants and kept flowering and bearing right through November. They need to be started very early to get berries. They were very slow to get large enough to transplant. How about some of the colored sages and purple basil?
    Good Luck,
    Keski

• vermontkingdom
    14 years ago

What a nice idea! I taught high school biology in Vermont for 36 years and my students always liked labs dealing with plants. I had root boxes (glass covered with sliding boards) where they could measure and observe root systems of various plants. They took measurements on growth rates of different kinds of plant roots. It was interesting for them to see the mass, pattern, and rate of growth. Also, you might consider inoculating beans with Rhizobium in one of your see-through containers. It's easy to observe nitrogen fixing nodules form on root systems of leguminous plants and therefor how these improve soil nutrition.
    Best of luck with the project and please keep us informed.
    dave

• wordwiz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dave,

You are out of my league! I would have no clue how to go about getting Rhizobium nor how to inoculate the beans.

But reading about roots gave me another idea - grow a tomato seedling that is quite tall, almost leggy. Find a tall clear container and bury the plant to its leaves, marking where the original root ball was placed. People can see how it forms roots along the entire underground stem.

I have cross-posted this idea in four or five different forums and I am getting fantastic feedback on different ideas.

Mike

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living