Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ribbit32004

My version of a jump start?

ribbit32004
15 years ago

I was reading UGA's extension service packet on vegetable growing yesterday and they said I could start peas and other early crops here in MID JANUARY!!?? I think that's a bit crazy being that we still have pretty nasty freezes and it snowed last January (granted about 3/4 of an inch, but it's still snow).

I don't have a fancy seed starting contraption like EG not a sunny window in the winter, but even if I do the dogs or the 2 yr old would make short work of them. Yesterday, I took the old pots that the blueberries were in along with some others we have around, and put peas, onions and spinach in them. Today I'm going to do some lettuce and raddishes. I figure if they're in pots on the front walk then I can move them into the garage when it freezes and put them on the walk in the morning for the sunlight.

Am I nuts? Should I HONESTLY try to put things in the sfg in January or am I begging for trouble?

Comments (12)

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Welcome to container gardening Ribbit! That's a great method. Then you can either transplant them into your garden when the threat of frost is over, or leave them in the containers if there's enough room. Of course you'll probably need to germinate the seeds inside, and then harden them off before you move them outside.

Good luck and enjoy starting early!

• medontdo
    15 years ago

ok, this is what i'd do if i was you. i'd go ahead and put them in containers, but put like 2 liter tops over them. or something like that, it would be like winter sowing, that way when it heats up enough, they'll start to sprout on thier own. and the top will vent it. so make sure that you throw away the lid from what ever you use. also, them roots will be awesome!! trust me, this is some awesome stuff!!! :') ~Medo

Here is a link that might be useful: Barehanded Totally Nutso Gardener!! **Big Grinn**

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

fancy seed starter contraption? Ha! You mean...redneck seed starter, don't ya? Maybe you could get hubs to put together a light setup for ya....that would get ya started, for sure! Hmm....I may have to start building these contraptions to sell....there's an idea!

As far as the planting time, I feel that mid January might be about 2-3 weeks too early. I'm gonna try to hold my seedlings until at least February, before transplanting.

EG

Here is a link that might be useful: EG's garden blog

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Hey EG, I'll take two! Do you ship second day air? hehe.

Also Ribbit, check out wintersown.org if you're interested in planting early. It's amazing what seeds do when left to their work.

• jbest123
    15 years ago

Rabbit32004, for sprouting, the bottom heat is much more critical than the top heat. Also for vegetables, you do not need any light until they have sprouted. Of coarse, some flowers will not sprout unless they have light. The bottom heat should be about 75 DEG and the top heat should be about 55 Â 60 DEG if I remember correctly. If the ambient temperature is too warm, the plants will grow too fast and become spindly. In addition, you should keep a florescent lamp about 1" Â 2" above the foliage or else they will be spindly again. Years ago, I use to put my seed flats above the heat ducts between the floor joists until sprouted then transfer them to my workbench under florescent shop lights.

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

• medontdo
    15 years ago

Sinfonian i didn't know you did wintersowing. those are the coolest things!! we are soooo doing wintersowing again this year!!! :') when winter sowing, no having to worry about those fly's, mold, dampening off, the only thing that i had to worry about in the least was making sure that they didn't dry out. but yep, it was awesome. :')

Here is a link that might be useful: Barehanded Totally Nutso Gardener!! **Big Grinn**

• ribbit32004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Very cool site, Sinfonian. Medo, I gather this is what you were talking about with the milk cartons! I was planning to get most of my plants as transpants from the garden stores for that serious head start, but now I'm wondering if I can make the same results myself.

Are there any items you'll most certaily get as transplants instead of seeding them yourself?

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Unfortunately, I'll still be buying my tomato and pepper plants from the nursery. There is just no way I could get the seedlings started here and transported home, and it will be too late to start them once I'm up north. However, I do think I will try to find some different varieties of tomatoes, rather than grabbing a pony pack of Celebrity like I usually do. It's more costly, but I might find something tastier. I hate that I'm limited in the varieties to plant, though. I'd like to be able to start my own.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: My 2009 Garden Resolutions

• kayhh
    15 years ago

Rabbit, the instructions that you have are right on the money. They should be planted as soon as the ice is out of the ground (do you even get ice in the ground?) Peas are early season crops. Although they will wait for that odd warm day to germinate, once they are up they tolerate frost and snow without skipping a beat. I believe their favored average temperature is around 45 F. Average, meaning 24 hour average, so nights will still be quite cold.

Now, they might give you a fright and wait weeks before they pop up, but they seem to "know" when the time is right and one day you will glance out your window and there they will be.

I wouldn't steer ya' wrong. In northern Michigan, I plant in mid-March. The weather here then is about the same as your January. Kay.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

ya know, there isn't a thing i would buy as trans plants, i like the idea of growing my own stuff!! its totally cool!! and not to mention the fact that how cool it is to watch ma nature take her course on things!! LOL i'd just follow what trudi say's and walla!! she has it all down!! did ya ever go to winter sown forum?? theyr'e all really nice over ther'e, hmmm...about as nice there as here!! LOL really helpful too!! i still have tons to learn on them peas and beans, but i tell ya, i do want them to grow. but i had soosoo many broccoli and others it was pathetic!! no way i could even think of eating all them!! LOL ~Medo

milk jugs
    2 liters
    20 oz
    1 liter
    any kinda plastic bottle
    butter tubs
    gal plastic jugs
    5 gal bucket
    anything goes
    i cut the lid and leave the rim, so you can use plastic to cover the tubs or whatever and put the "rim" on then poke holes in it for breather and let water in when it rains or snows. works great. :')

• carolynp
    15 years ago

I want to make mention of the fact that I had this EXACT same question!! Bizarre! I'm more of a daredevil, though. I'm so itchy to get started that I've already start a bin of peas indoors. I will also winter sow a box ( I just found I have an extra box!! Woohoo!! Took bad measurements in the front and the HUBBY said, "Hey, you should really put another box in or it won't look balanced." And, you guys know what a kind wife I am, I gave in gracefully, lol. Sorry to go so far astray from the topic.

• ribbit32004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No, Kay, no ice in the ground here..that even sounds funny to me. Nope. No ice, just solid red, dusty clay. We usually have at least one mild to moderate ice event, but that hasn't happened yet and I don't know if it will even though the forecasters were screaming for a doom and destruction winter, it has yet to happen.

I haven't filled my boxes yet, although I know when I do they'll get cold fast. I may wait to give it a try in mid Jan, but as for now, I've put some peas in a large pot and have put some lettuce and broccoli inside to germinate. We'll see how it goes!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!