Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Food plots for critters

Posted by jbest123 Zone 5 PA (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 7, 08 at 12:18

When I need a break from work at home, I go to camp and work harder. :o( It is very relaxing though. I just made a post in my journal I hope you will enjoy as much as I did being there.;o)

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Food plots for critters

John,
I read your latest post about converting your garden. My raised beds I started this year were filled kinda lasagna style with aged horse manure, leaves, pine needles, coffee grounds, whatever I could find last spring. I tossed a little dirt in there (ok, it was some really sandy fill dirt, but I figured it added some sort of mineral content). The bulk of my garden is compost materials. When the garden finished this fall, I very much wanted to dig down to see if there was anything recognizable left in there, but the worms were so thick in there, I felt bad digging around in their world. As far as I did dig, it was all broken down.

The beds shrank down by about a third over the season as everything was broken down. I added some more manure and leaves etc this fall. I poked down through the top layer of leaves to check progress, and the worms are making their way through the new stuff as well.

By the sheer number of worms are we going to be growing in pretty much pure compost, or worm castings??

o

gb, how well did your garden produce the first year? I was also surprised how quickly the worms moved up into the beds and how many. Thats why I am not too keen on using landscape fabric.

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

o

I was pretty happy with how well it did, so I expanded it...

A lot of my worms were imported with the aged horse manure, but I'm sure there were some around here somewhere. About the only digging I did was to level the wood frames and to try and loosen the ground underneath somewhat but I think I saw one, maybe two worm in the ground when I was digging.

I actually made my husband come outside to look at all the worms I found in the garden last week. He was not nearly as excited about it as I was...

I'm linking my previous post about how the new garden produced if you'd like to check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Veggie garden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here